General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

What Safety/Recovery Gear do you keep in your Rig?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 04:35 PM
Beginning Member
Wheela is on a distinguished road
Default What Safety/Recovery Gear do you keep in your Rig?

Now that I finally got a winch mounted on I was just wanting to see what everyone else keeps in their Blazers for emergencies and general recovery situations.

In my Blazer I got several of the basics:
Winch

Extinguisher mounted on the back of the center console

Hi-Lift Jack mounted to the Tire Carrier

Tote strapped down in the back

Contains First Aid kit, minor electrical kit, kinetic strap, tow strap, basic mechanics tool set, extra D-ring, portable air compressor, Green bag(whats in it below).
tucked beside it is a Hi-Lift base, Hi-Lift multi tool with ax, pickax, shovel, and sledge hammer.

Inside the Green bag is gloves, wd-40, grease, pliers, wrench, vices, extra vac-line tubing, trailer connector, extra clamp

On the back of my passenger seat I have a Rough Routes Seat Back Organizer

And in that there's a 800A peak 18000mah car jumpstarter, ham radio, and a 11 in 1 survival kit.

Anyone else keep a fair amount of Safety/Recovery Gear in their Rigs? If so what what do you have?

Old 04-07-2019, 05:08 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Day to day, all I have is a hi lift, a 20' strap, and a small first aid kit. Oh, and a flashlight.

I've got two shackles in the front, and one rear for recovery points.

I plan on a winch soon, maybe a ****** block as well. And a kinetic strap would be nice

Old 04-07-2019, 07:23 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

I didn't see a jump-pack for starting your truck when the battery is dead. Do you have one of those?

I also have a Baofeng! KI7UTL!

Old 04-07-2019, 07:53 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by christine_208
I didn't see a jump-pack for starting your truck when the battery is dead. Do you have one of those?

I'm installing a second battery soon, so I'll be able to self jump start. Until then, I carry a set of jumper cables

Old 04-07-2019, 08:39 PM
Beginning Member
Wheela is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christine_208

Yes I have one, the last picture has a 800A 18000mah car jumpstarter, will start up anything with a 6.0L or lower

Old 04-07-2019, 09:55 PM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

I’m bad, then I dont really off road either. Just the plain basics, recovery strap, jumper cables, flashlight and one of those 12volt air pumps for a low tire. Spare is under the truck, works but kinda wrong size but we are talking emergency use.
My main tool is a cell phone and Discover card because American Express stayed home (and charges to much and has crummy service)

Old 04-09-2019, 02:33 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

What I can think of off the top of my head:

Recovery
Winch, tow strap, ****** block, tree strap, chain, various shackles, Hi-Lift jack, shovel

Repairs
Full set of hand tools, including special sockets for front hubs, air impact wrench, cordless drill and grinder, floor jack, jack stands, drain pan, all fluids, oil absorbent, brake line flaring tool, jumper cables, tire repair kit, CO2 tank, radiator sealer

Spare Parts
Starter, axle shaft, u-joints, valve stems, axle u-bolts, assorted nuts and bolts, fuses, braided brake hoses

Survival
Water bottles, space blanket, axe, machete, several flashlights, energy bars, extra gas, knife, pistol and ammunition, matches and lighter, compass, GPS, toilet paper, fire extinguishers

Communication
CB and Ham radio

Probably a whole bunch of stuff I can't think of right now.

Last edited by Tom A; 04-12-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:18 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tom A
What I can think of off the top of my head:
Holy crap, dude! You pull a trailer behind you to haul all that stuff! Lol

I need to wheel with a guy like you!

Old 04-09-2019, 08:59 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I probably overdo it a little bit. But every time I or somebody I'm wheeling with has a problem, I add more stuff so it won't be a problem next time. And I actually have had to replace an axle shaft on the side of a trail. believe me, I was really happy to have the axle, not to mention the diff cover gasket, drain pan, and new oil. I broke a steering knuckle one time and didn't have a spare, so I ended up spending a night in the desert while my friends found me one the next day.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:25 PM
BF Veteran

Depending on what kind of wheeling you do, that stuff is probably a really good idea. No public land here in Texas, we can only go to parks. So not much chance of getting stranded in the wilderness, plus I'm only 90 miles from the house. If I was way out in the boonies, I might pack a little heavier also

Quick Reply: What Safety/Recovery Gear do you keep in your Rig?