General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what tires to get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Starting Member
vortec bowtie is on a distinguished road
Default what tires to get?

Ive been reading alot of tire reviews online, and they all seem to have mixed reviews. So ill tell ya what im looking for and ill see what you guys recommend. I have an 02 blazer LS 2wd 2 door with 44k miles, and it still has the original tires, which are getting pretty dry rotted, so im looking to get some new tires. Im debating between an A/T and a H/T. Most of my driving will be on city roads. I live in Michigan so I want something thats pretty good in the snow, and I also want it to be pretty smooth on the road. Ill be hitting some occasional trails when I go Up North, so I want something that will be able to handle that, yet i dont want to sacrifice a nice smooth ride on the road. Im thinkin an AT isnt really necassary, but im not sure if an HT will be decent on some trails in the woods, and in the winter. My driving will be about 75% city driving... Ive been looking at Toyo Open Country HT's, Good Year Wrangler HTs, Wrangler SR-A, and a few others. Do you guys recommend any of these? Whats my best bet for something that handles good on pavement, is quiet, and can handle some mild trails?

Thanks!

Old 05-20-2011, 11:15 PM
dimone545 is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally am in love with the goodyear wrangler duratracs. They are quite on the street and still can climb through all kinds of slop... I have had many different tires and I can honestly say that I will probably never get another brand of tire on a daily driver. Here is a link to one place that sells them. Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac

By the way, these things look way more hardcore in person, the pictures do not do them justice!!!!Check out my garage and you can see some pics of them mounted on a blazer. Also I truly cannot even hear them while driving. Best damn tire ever for a daily driven vehicle that likes to hit mud, snow, sand and dirt trails.....TRUST ME YOU WILL LOVE THEM!!!

Old 05-21-2011, 12:15 AM
Starting Member
96jimmyslt4x4 is on a distinguished road

only 44k miles?

I had 80k + on our last set

Old 05-21-2011, 07:39 AM
Peco is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to agree on the DuraTrac. Just go a set last Oct and cant say one bad thing about them!

Old 05-21-2011, 08:33 AM
Starting Member

Thanks Dimone, ill look into those. Im goin to BelleTire to check out some tires today, I checked out BelleTires site, and the only decent tire they have that will fit my truck is the Toyo Open Country HT's. The reason I wanna get them from Belle is cause my dad is friends with a guy that works there, so he'll hook me up with a good deal.. Anyone have any experience with the open country HTs?

So ive limited to Wrangler RTS, and Wrangler Radials. The RTS are $485 and the Radials are $430... The Radial has a pretty cool tread design, im just not sure if theyll be smooth enough and handle good on the road. Anyone have any experience with either of these tires?

Old 05-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Beginning Member
BLUESKY is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's was my choice. Good ride on the asphalt, and stable on the graded roads. Not too good in deep sand...
They look good too!

Old 05-21-2011, 11:14 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been extremely happy with my Firestone Destination A/Ts.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Starting Member

I have been looking into Destination AT's, but the place where I can get the good deal on the tires doesnt carry those. If they did, I would probably get them, cause everyone seems to like them.. Im pretty much between GoodYear Wrangler Radials, and Wrangler RTS. Both have very mixed reviews. My main concern is road handling. I want them to be smooth and handle good at highway speeds, yet still be good in the winter, and can take a few trails when I go Up North. Which of the 2 do you guys recommend?

Old 05-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Starting Member
Bigringtravis is on a distinguished road

Read this:

https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-...t-worth-32410/

I have 48,500 miles on these and they are still deep enough for wet traction - about 5/16s of the 9/16s tread depth I started with. No problems - anywhere, anytime, or any conditions. I pulled several bigger vehicles(dodge ram, suburban, etc) up a known slick hill in the ice this past winter and my driving is 90% highway.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:07 PM
m3ch is on a distinguished road

i have Goodyear Wrangler Radials on my truck, they are decent, ive been thru some mud with them, nuthin to crazy yet, they did good, they did good in the snow, decent on the road, and good on the highway

Quick Reply: what tires to get?