General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what are you going to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 05:56 AM
LucasMI is on a distinguished road
Default what are you going to do?

now that gas prices are up over $4 a gallon in some places?

Me? well, I'm going to **** and moan like everybody else, and keep putting gas in my tank because there aint a thing I can do about it.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:49 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Ditto^^^^^bend over and pump it.
i have only my self to blame.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:55 AM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Yup, that sounds about right for me too. End of the year I'm doing an engine swap in hopes of better fuel economy. In the process of researching problems and known quirks with the I5 they put in the Colorado. Heck even the I4 they use in those has the same HP as the 4.3 and gets 20mpg easy.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:53 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Phil
Yup, that sounds about right for me too. End of the year I'm doing an engine swap in hopes of better fuel economy. In the process of researching problems and known quirks with the I5 they put in the Colorado. Heck even the I4 they use in those has the same HP as the 4.3 and gets 20mpg easy.
Phil, I think you ought do some MORE research. Using the better engine design means using the fuel management system designed for it. Not that you cant do it but it will be expensive and troublesome to integrate backward.

What might be better to investigate is tuning the existing engine. Note the reason for our particular fuel delivery design is to provide the best performance/ economy for the application.. which is a big rolling box.
If you dont believe that, go out on a straight level stretch and set cruise for 70 mph and watch the inst mileage readout. Then set it to 65 and watch it. Big freaking difference. On mine, typically 10%; goes from 19 to 22. That means that great attention was paid to highway mileage.

Now look at the profile of the later vehicles. Guarantee they do better than Gen2 in the wind and smoke chamber.

I've been researching Bosch III, which the spider upgrade {according to the injector profile} may already use. Best info is on the Corvette forums where the modding transition was from Bosch/Ford design to Bosch III.. whatever that difference is.

Bottom line, close attention to everything from rolling resistance Tire pressures included, to low friction in engine - ahem, mobil1- to keeping all sensors clean and monitored closely.

And then, maybe a performance tune for low end torque.

Last edited by pettyfog; 03-05-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:18 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Petty, thats what I`m looking at. Cant afford anew car so I`m going to do everything I can to get the best mileage out of what I have. Upgrade air filter, Ignition system etc.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:22 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I'm gonna ride my bike.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:36 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Im thinking about parking the blazer for the summer. Man down the street has a honda accord with a bad motor and salvage title. He only wants like $300 for it. Im tempted on getting it,putting a $150 motor in it from the pick n pull and drive on 28 mpg.

Then again im broke right now. Like i got money to throw around. Ha..

Old 03-05-2012, 12:36 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by pettyfog
What might be better to investigate is tuning the existing engine. Note the reason for our particular fuel delivery design is to provide the best performance/ economy for the application.. which is a big rolling box.
If you dont believe that, go out on a straight level stretch and set cruise for 70 mph and watch the inst mileage readout. Then set it to 65 and watch it. Big freaking difference. On mine, typically 10%; goes from 19 to 22. That means that great attention was paid to highway mileage.

Now look at the profile of the later vehicles. Guarantee they do better than Gen2 in the wind and smoke chamber.

I've been researching Bosch III, which the spider upgrade {according to the injector profile} may already use. Best info is on the Corvette forums where the modding transition was from Bosch/Ford design to Bosch III.. whatever that difference is.
So whats the difference between the Bosch III and the Delphi MFI upgrade? I was thinking about getting the Delphi from amazon but if you have any input on that i will rethink that lol

And also about the 65-70 MPH thing, i think thats how mine used to be, but now with my PCM tune i have lots more power and better MPG at about 65-70 as apposed to 50-60 like i used to. Its strange, right when i get to about 65 (about 2000 RPM) my throttle response increases greatly and my speed will increase a lot quicker with the same throttle pressure as if i was going about 50-55 trying to increase my speed.

Last edited by 97cherryblazer; 03-05-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:03 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

just gonna have to deal with it

gas is 3.99 here right now

Old 03-05-2012, 01:14 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Well when I eventually win the lottery, I won't have to worry about gas prices lol.

Plus I'll switch the 4.3 out with this baby: Ram Jet 350

Or I might even throw a jet turbine on my blaze. Watch out! Hyper speed!

Jet Helicopter engine in an S-10 Chevy truck - YouTube

Quick Reply: what are you going to do?