General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

whats your opinion on retread tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 02:50 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough
Default whats your opinion on retread tires?

i was just searching for new tires online, looking at prices and stuff and i came across a retread tire site. I never even thought once about looking at retreads but they are obviously going to be quite a bit cheaper than new tires. i have just always heard bad things about retreads but usually on semis and not regular cars. they warranty their tires for 30,000 miles like most new tire companies do so i would think they dont have to many problems with them. or have retread companies figured out new safer ways to do retreads?

just curious on your opinions. here's the site: https://www.treadwright.com/

Old 09-19-2011, 05:00 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't do it on passenger cars. The reason the big rigs do it is to save money on the outrageously expensive tires they run and the amount of miles they need to get out of the casings. Way too dangerous on a vehicle with only four tires.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:54 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

That's kind of what I was thinking. But I know big rig tires are normally bias ply and passenger car tires are normally radial ply (might have that backwards) so I didn't know if that made a difference in how safe a retread is. Now if I had a wheeler that I needed tires for that's the rout I would take.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Most trucking companies will use retreads on anything but steer wheels - reason being, you have duals all the way back - you blow one, it's no big deal. You blow a steer, & depending on the driver, there's a good chance your going to end up in the ditch ... also taking anyone nearby with you.

So like rriddle3 mentioned, you blow any one of the 4 tires on the highway, things are going to get real interesting - especially if it's rush hour with everyone tailgating at 75mph ....

There are lots of parts to save a buck on - tires are NOT one of them, IMO.