General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

When it rains it poors

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 08:39 AM
slcblazer is on a distinguished road
Default When it rains it poors

Took a trip to see the girlfriends family in Idaho (about 350ish miles one way), blazer was running great so I figured we would take my car and maybe find some trails. about half way there I noticed it was running a little warm so I thought maybe cause its over 100 out plus the AC was on. went to pull off to top off the tank, soon as I pulled off and started slowing down the temp gauge went up and up and UP! made it to the pump and that stomach turning sound started "ssssssssssssssssssss" followed by a sweet smell. Radiator emptied what fluid was left all over the parking lot....FML.
thought I would try and move it out of the pump area happened to look at my rear tire and saw it was nearly flat so I added some fix a flat but then saw that it was spraying out of the HUGE hole left by whatever took an inch chunk out of my tire. To make everything worse it was at 7pm on Friday so NOTHING was open. Had to get towed from Lava Hot Springs to Idaho Falls (thank God for roadside assistance) so the next day got a new tire put on (had to buy a new one cause my dumb *** didnt have a spare) $200 damn dollars later the truck was at least pushable lol. Knowing that a radiator job is pretty easy and straight forward I went to buy one, got lucky and got the only radiator that was within 150 miles lol Got the old one pulled and new one in, test drove it and was great so I let it sit for the rest of the time we were there.
Next day we loaded up and hit the road, not even 10 minutes down the road the transmission nearly quit shifting...FML again!... managed to limp it to the next gas station to investigate, low and behold when I put the trans cooler line in I didnt get it in all the way while battleing that stupid E clip so I drained the trans... went in the sketchy as hell gas station in the middle of God's country and found some trans fluid that said on the bottle "for GM vehicles 2005 and older". put almost 4.5 quarts into that damn thing and had my GF's dad come rescue us again with his tool truck. got the hose attached and made it home.
Going to take it in and make sure everything is good to go on it

Old 07-22-2013, 08:49 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Glad you made it home, & I hope there isn't any serious damage.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:08 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

glad you made it safely....even though it sounds like it took a little bit. i hope you didnt cook the trans in that thing. i just did a radiator swap when i was out in Texas about 2 weeks ago, so i feel your pain about those tranny lines. PITA!!!!
did you change the upper and lower hoses too? i am going to be doing mine this week i think.
any way, good luck with everything and keep us posted.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:57 AM

trans feels fine shifts nicely and smoothly so I think I am good there. More worried about the motor at this point. I didnt push it I kept the RPMS lower and babied it.
I didnt do the hoses yet they seemed fine enough to drive with and werent leaking so I think I am ok but I will swap them out here soon. Taking it in to my mechanic to have hime go over it all

Old 07-22-2013, 11:02 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

well,if trans is ok,at least you put in 5 new bottles of fluid. lol...

Sounds like my luck. thankfully previous owner installed a new rad for me...

Now watch it leak.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:21 AM

haha yep 5 new bottles. they were just cheap gas station bottles, I am going to take it in and have them drop the pan and add some decent stuff in. Nothing but the best for my baby

Old 07-22-2013, 09:32 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Hey, on the bright side you changed both your coolant and trans fluid, and have a new tire and radiator! You don't have to worry about those items for awhile!!

Old 07-23-2013, 12:14 AM

haha yep, just praying I didnt burn out my engine lol
The tires are mismatched now, my GF surprised me and got me 31x10.5R15 Toyo MT tires
Getting them put on soon as they come in

Old 07-23-2013, 12:25 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by slcblazer
Took a trip to see the girlfriends family in Idaho (about 350ish miles one way), blazer was running great so I figured we would take my car and maybe find some trails. about half way there I noticed it was running a little warm so I thought maybe cause its over 100 out plus the AC was on. went to pull off to top off the tank, soon as I pulled off and started slowing down the temp gauge went up and up and UP! made it to the pump and that stomach turning sound started "ssssssssssssssssssss" followed by a sweet smell. Radiator emptied what fluid was left all over the parking lot....FML.
thought I would try and move it out of the pump area happened to look at my rear tire and saw it was nearly flat so I added some fix a flat but then saw that it was spraying out of the HUGE hole left by whatever took an inch chunk out of my tire. To make everything worse it was at 7pm on Friday so NOTHING was open. Had to get towed from Lava Hot Springs to Idaho Falls (thank God for roadside assistance) so the next day got a new tire put on (had to buy a new one cause my dumb *** didnt have a spare) $200 damn dollars later the truck was at least pushable lol. Knowing that a radiator job is pretty easy and straight forward I went to buy one, got lucky and got the only radiator that was within 150 miles lol Got the old one pulled and new one in, test drove it and was great so I let it sit for the rest of the time we were there.
Next day we loaded up and hit the road, not even 10 minutes down the road the transmission nearly quit shifting...FML again!... managed to limp it to the next gas station to investigate, low and behold when I put the trans cooler line in I didnt get it in all the way while battleing that stupid E clip so I drained the trans... went in the sketchy as hell gas station in the middle of God's country and found some trans fluid that said on the bottle "for GM vehicles 2005 and older". put almost 4.5 quarts into that damn thing and had my GF's dad come rescue us again with his tool truck. got the hose attached and made it home.
Going to take it in and make sure everything is good to go on it
That is *NOT* what I wanted to read the night before I leave for Missoula!

I'm glad you made it back home OK. I had a trip to Kimberley, BC like that in my '92 GMC Vandura back in 2010. On the trip I ended up replacing the coolant temperature sensor, alternator, and a pair of tires. I made the gig, though, and that's the most important thing.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Toby Hanson
That is *NOT* what I wanted to read the night before I leave for Missoula!

I'm glad you made it back home OK. I had a trip to Kimberley, BC like that in my '92 GMC Vandura back in 2010. On the trip I ended up replacing the coolant temperature sensor, alternator, and a pair of tires. I made the gig, though, and that's the most important thing.
haha no jinx intended for you
Just check and recheck all your hoses, fittings, fluids and say a prayer haha

Quick Reply: When it rains it poors