General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Where do Blazer owners work on their Blazers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Starting Member
50percentgenius is on a distinguished road

I barely have power tools. I practically destroyed a drill a few weeks ago. I've been looking into saving for air tools.

But then I remembered I'm in college.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:23 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

im lucky enough to have a small single car garage that my wife owns,
we play musical cars when things go wrong, but as my garage title says.
"money pit" i usually start fixing stuff before it becomes a problem

Old 07-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Starting Member

I just call mine the blazer. Money pit is growing on me though. Pretty sure through repairs I'll replace my whole front end in the coming months

Old 07-15-2012, 01:29 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

I have a nice garage I inherited from my grandfather. Half the time I work out in front of the garage because there are other projects going on inside. I still have some of my grandfather's stuff in there right now so I'm working on things outside right now. That's not so bad in July. It's especially not bad right now because I'm replacing the water pump and fan clutch on my '93 Jimmy and I'd rather drain the coolant outside where spilling is not nearly as much of a problem.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Starting Member
nunya is on a distinguished road

I work at the family owned towing/repair shop so I have full access whenever I want to a nice large full repair shop with lift and pit access, about any tool I could need (and the ability to improvise when it comes to things I don't have like say a 'real' engine hoist), parts brought to me with a phone call (time dependent of course), and access to wreckers/flatbeds when something happens that I NEED to use what I have.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:26 AM
Starting Member

I wish I had shop access.

Anybody else?

Old 07-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Starting Member
OILCOUNTRY is an unknown quantity at this point

I work normally in my dual car garage with a medium assortment of tools but if I am attempting anything major I tend to go to my dads heavy haul truck shop which has everything from over head hoists to a full assortment of tools, The really nice part is the heated concrete floors in the winter.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A little walk around of my mess of a garage (if I can get this to work from my phone):

The garage is a 22x24 with 12ft ceilings. The bench along the left wall is 2x6 construction ~16ft long x 32" deep with an 1/8" sheet metal top press-braked to form a back splash & drip edge back/front respectively. The bench at the left rear corner is only 8ft long x 30" deep and is a 2" thick butcher block style table that has been permanently fastened in place. It has a 1/2" thick nylon top added for soft detail work and easy cleanup. The bench along the right wall I designed and built around 8 years ago to be easily disassembled & moved for use in a rental house. I'm trying to find details on the bench. I thought I posted about it way back then...

If I can't get it to work, I'll check back later after I get done with everything tonight.

When a larger space is needed, I can use my dad's shop:

40x60 with plenty of tools provided he doesn't have them out at his job site with him.

My plan is to build a 30x50 shop on my property since my K5 is at the limits of fitting into my current garage as it is now. It scrubs on the weather stripping around the garage door when I drive in...

*EDIT* - Well, I was able to dig up the old workbench thread out of my email archives, but I couldn't resurrect the rest of the thread and I have to find the pictures & repost them since they were lost in the forum conversion a number of years ago. Man I've been here a long time...

Last edited by swartlkk; 07-20-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Added the workbench post
Old 07-21-2012, 12:53 AM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a small garage that i work on mine in. its just enough room to get my blazer in and have a few feet on both sides. i think when the sas is started i wont have room anymore. probably start parking my cruze in there then.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:42 AM
Starting Member

Some of us have some extremely nice setups available to us.

-Swartlkk, you have really built up a nice garage by your description. Sounds nice. I've been slowly building up my dad's garage for him, but it takes some time to get it the way it's wanted.

-OILCOUNTRY, this is the first time I've heard of heated concrete. How much of a difference would you say that makes?

Quick Reply: Where do Blazer owners work on their Blazers?