General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

whew, that was freaky

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 09:06 PM
thevair65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default whew, that was freaky

im peacfully driving down the road when my check guage light comes on. Looking at the guage i know ive got a full tank of gas, what the heck. shortly after that the truck dies right in the middle of a corner. never realy realized how much i loved power brakes and steering until i lost them. so doing about 35 and fighting to restart the truck i realize thats not going to happen. hit the brakes and faught the wheel ended up going over a curb into a parking lot. Well im not having it towed no way so i manage to get it running again. was limping my way home when it died once again. this time coming up to a red light with people crossing the street. after coming to a stop i decided this whole thing is pretty risky and could hurt someone besides myself. so when i stopped i tried to push all 6000 or so pounds off to the side. of course no one stops to ask if i need help.

so i ended up gettin towed which i wasnt happy about. turns out my fuel pump crapped out go figure. i love chevy but i realy hate theyre fuel pumps. i always kept a full tank in it, im guessing the owner before me didnt. either way it was freaky and sucked to see my baby on a tow.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:13 PM
89beater is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: whew, that was freaky

that sucks. but at least you where able to keep it under control. mines done that before tooso i know how hard it is to control mine without power steering and brakes and mines a lot smaller so im sure it was harder for you.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:50 PM
BrianMichaels1 is an unknown quantity at this point

My fuel pump is starting to crap out a little on my '71 Nova. But...it's the original 36 year old one.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:08 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

When my sending unit crapped out, I had no idea how much gas I had. I had a job interview though, so I had to go out. My gauge read 1/2 tank that day. I had no time to get gas before the interview, so I decided to go after. I get to the interviewe and go in. I never got that job by the way. It was a prep chef at a Marriot in Farmington. I left the interview and headed down the street to the light when I pressed the gas pedal to speed up, I didn't go anywhere. I looked down and the needle was on E. I then realized my steering was nearly gone. I treid to steer around the corner but popped the curb and stopped on the grass just barely missing a street sign. I had to call my dad to come and bring me some gas so I could get to the station. It was kinda embarrasing having people stop and ask me what was wrong and I had to say I ran out of gas like an idiot.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:55 PM

yeah it was a real bear to control. would suck even worse in something like an old sunurban.

dang 38 year old pump. got to love the good old mechanical pumps.
Ive got a friend that had the same problem with the sending unit. funny part is the guage moved and he thought it worked until running out of gas a couple times.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:02 PM
BobTheBlazer will become famous soon enough

I've run out of gas alot in my Blazer. Not by accident, just by lack of money and needing to go into town for whatever. What is it with the Blazer that when you make a left hand turn and you're low on gas, you stall? I know I'm going to have all sorts of issues down the road with my truck from running it to empty, but what can ya do?

Old 07-27-2007, 11:04 PM

ugh yeah ive had that problem before this whole thing. only for me it was right hand turns that made my rig stall. and even on a full tank.
the only thing i have heard is that a weak pump can cause that. so far i believe it. mine doesnt do it with the new pump.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:09 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Yeah it sucks seeing your vehicle on a tow truck, but it sucks even more when some dummy runs into you from the rear when you are stopped at a red light. The other part that sucks is when you get the bill from the tow company (Ouch, $150 for a 4 mile tow on a flat bed, luckily the kid who hit me's insurance remibursed us), and then to have the tow operater complain that your car is leaking radiator fluid from the accident on his just cleaned truck, yeah well thats my totaled car that was just they way I wanted it finally and some dumb kid decides to total it.

-Lenny

Old 07-28-2007, 03:33 AM

ouch $150 thats pretty harsh. im just glad i decided to keep my tow insurance almost told them i didnt want it. didnt cost me a dime.
lucky for me i was less then a mile from home. would have my friend come by and pull me with his truck but i didnt have any power at all and was broke down on a busy road. the fuel pump is what made the truck die but it would not even crank after that. i was driving it like it was stolen and managed to rip the connection right out of the battery when i was being stupid.

quick question. ive got a new in the box torque converter. it was given to me but i dont think ill have my truck long enough to install it, thanks to my 8 miles per gallon (on a good day) its built for towing and is suposed to enguage at a very low rpm. truthfully i dont know alot about it but id like to sell it. any idea how much something like that couldbe sold for? at least given what little imformation ive got at the moment.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:47 AM
aris_unlimited is an unknown quantity at this point

the sending unit on my blazers fuel pump no longer works either. I never know how much gas I have so I religiously fill it up about every 200 miles and it has not run out yet. I would replace the pump but those things are extremely expensive I think the cheapest I could find was like $250 or something like that.

Quick Reply: whew, that was freaky