General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Why AC Delco spark plugs?

Old 07-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Starting Member
jmaynard is on a distinguished road
Default Why AC Delco spark plugs?

I've seen people recommend AC Delco spark plugs over and over for the 4.3L VIN W Blazer. I can't figure out why, though. For a given material technology, a spark plug is a spark plug is a spark plug, right?

I'm about to do mine, and I'd really rather only do them once. There's only a NAPA and a CarQuest in the town I live in; other chains are a 50-mile drive each way away. I can't seem to find the double platinum AC Delcos in stock at either place.

Enopugh people here say that it makes a difference that I'm prepared to believe them..but why does it make a difference?

Old 07-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would attribute it to more stringent quality control. In my experience, AC Delco plugs are more consistent, plug to plug. NGK is a close second and NGK double platinum plugs were also installed at the factory.

You can also use the AC Delco Premium Iridium plugs or the NGK Laser Iridiums. Same long life of the double platinum plugs, but with a more precise spark control.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Starting Member

My local NAPA stocks the AC Delco standard and Rapidfire plugs. Are either of those what people are talking about? They don't stock the NGKs at all...

Old 07-28-2010, 08:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No, those will only last around 30k miles if you are lucky.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:53 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

believe it or not, the 4.3L is a high performance engine. As in GM has pushed it to its limit to get maximum hp,torq, and fuel economy.

As to your other question, no, spark plugs are not all created the same. Different materials burn hotter or colder, plus they ignite at different times, and different spark intensity.

At $6 a pop, there are cheaper versions, however you will get a P0300 code.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Starting Member

Cheaper? Meh. I'll pay more to get the good stuff if it's warranted. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to drive a couple of hours to get it.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:46 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought 6 AC/Delco Double Platinums new on eBay for $20.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:45 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I've heard of lots of people having issues with cheap **** from NAPA and BOSCH, all ignition stuff.

You see it alot on Yahoo!Answers... "My 4.3 S10 won't run right" and the details are generally along the lines of "I just did a Tune-up with Bosch Platinum sparkplugs, wires and coils..." which is when I give them a swift proverbeal smack to the forehead and "inform" them that they should have gone AC Delco for that stuff and they wouldn't have had any issues... All the time, garaunteed if you go to the Chevrolet or GMC section of that site there will at least be 1.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Starting Member

Will the AC Delco Professional Platinum plug (41-993) work in the 1995 Blazer if gapped at .045 inches? The online cross references seem to indicate it's for 1996 and up only.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:45 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Hoenstly, call the dealer, get the p/n for the plugs you need and then go to http://gmpartsdirect.com and search the p/n there, prices are good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why AC Delco spark plugs?