General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

why chevy? WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The older 4runner is a nice looking truck. The newer... Not so much. I'd say they took a step in the minivan direction if that's what you're calling the GMT360 platform.

I have never liked the Xterra nor the FJ. Both look too toy like and the early FJ looked too "girly" for me. Having driven them both within the last 5 years, neither seemed as roomy or comfortable as my old Rainier.

Have you even actually driven in a GMT360 platform truck? In the conditions which you have stated that they are deficient?

Old 01-02-2011, 10:43 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

i think its 98-2002 for the body style i like. 2002-present look much more minivanish to me.

and no, i havent driven a trailblazer, just dont like how they look for some reason. did you drive the new xterra or older? cause ill agree the older ones arnt all that eye pleasing, the newer ones however look good, not much faith in nissan though....

Old 01-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so you are going back in years for the foreign stuff and not comparing newer to newer...

Old 01-02-2011, 04:10 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by swartlkk
The 4200 I6 is even more reliable than the 4.3L v6 with more power & torque to boot. With an optional 5.3L v8 in the short wheel base TB's available in 2005, GM gave you what the s-series never had.
absolutely right Kyle. i've been on the hunt for a 4.2 driveline for my Blazer. 'cause even though it'd be a little tight, it would definately pay off in the long run with fuel economy. it's either that, or i get a Brazilian 2.8 dragged up here, and do that swap. that's my primary choice, but totally OOTWR as far as getting it up here for a reasonable fee.

Originally Posted by blazinloud
Well, the Trailblazer is just a glorified minivan imo, even looks the part. The newer cherokee's are only so-so, not really anything exciting there...

First things i'd like to test drive are 2002 4runner (last year of the nice body style)
a newer xterra with the 350z based "modified" 4.0 v6(around 250hp 250tq) and the toyota fj (love it or hate it) and if those dont work out then im stuck......decently priced 4runners are hard to come by here, i seen a 92 going for like $6000, and a 2005 blazer for under $9000 lol

WOW!!! you definately need to come over here to get one then.

my father-in-law just picked up a '01 with every option other than leather for $2800 (God i luv his locking diff's 'n such). sure the truck has 240K on it, but all the work was done by the owner (a one owner truck) @ the dealer, including the PITA timing belt job on a 3400 twin-cam.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Administrator

You'll have a fun time trying to shoe-horn a 4200 I6 into an s-series for sure! It would likely be easier to put a 5.3L LS motor in than to do the I6 swap. Those motors are LONG!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:39 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Having owned my Blazer since new and having leased 2 Envoy XL's and bought the second one off lease I do not agree with you. I love both and have had no troubles with either of them. If you wamt to see proof of what the Trailblazer, Envoy line can do just check HARDTRAILS profile and look for his pics.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:14 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by swartlkk
You'll have a fun time trying to shoe-horn a 4200 I6 into an s-series for sure! It would likely be easier to put a 5.3L LS motor in than to do the I6 swap. Those motors are LONG!
oh, i know it will be!

but if i'm doing a swap, i want it to be different.

and that 4200 would be different!!

was looking @ doing the 4BT swap........but these "newer" trucks (ie; 2nd gens) are more of a challenge.

hmmmm.......somehting different........................i know! i'll drop the 6.2 from my 'Burb into the Blazer when i do the Max swap!

Old 01-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Beginning Member
laxman21 is on a distinguished road

They still make them

Old 01-03-2011, 07:36 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Uhh, yeah, we know...in Brazil.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Starting Member
Longer02 is an unknown quantity at this point

Since when does a RWB (regular wheel base) Trailblazer look like a minivan?

I own both vehicles, my parents have owned several S10 Blazers and now own a 2002 Trailblazer that has 163k miles on it. They have had very few issues with the vehicle. The power of the 4200 I6 is a little lacking below 3k RPM but it screams up top and the sluggishness my parents TB experiences is due to the 3.42 gears. Mine has 3.73's and pulls hard from a stop or a roll.

I love driving my S10 Blazer don't get me wrong, but I would much rather take a trip or pull a trailer in my Trailblazer. I also like the fact that my Trailblazer feels like driving an SUV. It is bigger and more roomy inside obviously.

To each his own though. Take a look over at Trailvoy.com or offroadtb.com at some of the rides and what they are capable of.

Quick Reply: why chevy? WHY?