General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Why Do You Keep Buying Junky Blazers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 09:23 AM
wienerdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why Do You Keep Buying Junky Blazers?

Well, I don't think Blazers are junky or any worse than other makes. I've owned S10 Blazer/Jimmys for a decade. Not because of make loyalty but because its always a Blazer that fits the bill.
I use to be but am nolonger a car/truck guy. I'm a gun guy. I like guns, shooting and handloading and shoot in local competitions for fun so all I need is a veHicle that suites my needs. I've been driving for 36 years and have had all kinds of vehicles, my first was a 1959 El Camino, it had wings!
I've been buying S10s because (#1)they arerelativly cheap imean inexpensive.
Last month I was looking to retire my 92' Blazer 4x4 so I looked at and drove a number of vehicles. The Jap and Korean small 4x4s were really nice but a little too litein the assand really pricey for what you got. The Explorers I looked at had horrible brakes and lumbered around corners and had 16" wheels that I don't want bcuz tires cost alot more than 15's.Explores seemed to cost more than comparable Blazers/Jimmys.So back to Blazer/Jimmys.
To me I don't care what year it is. Idealy, I wanted to find a low mile pre-95' Blazer/Jimmy but no such luck so it was down to a 2002 Blazer and a 99' Jimmy both 4-door 4x4. The 02'Blazer with 110k mileswas $4995 and would need tires andworse, the interior stunk like the bad side of town....not something I can hack.
The 1999 GMC Jimmy was older but was abeautifuly clean bright white color, the 15" alloy wheels looked new and it had 4 new GoodYear Wrangler tires, all the fluids were fresh, inside was super clean and lightly used. The leather drivers seat showed very lite wear and the sun roof didn't leak.They had $4895 on the window. It was a 1 owner, a female and appears to be well cared for and garage kept.It had 79880 miles. I drive about 8800 miles a year so I figure (#2)this vehicle ought to last me a long time.
Honda, Subaru and other forigners are probably alot better and rarely need ball joints and run 210000 miles before major work but I'm not a high miler and (#3)I like the extra metal that exists or seems to exist in American trucks. 4-wheel drive is a must here in northern IL.
And, (#4) whenever possible I buy American made products. I ended up buying the white 99' Jimmy for a negotiated $4400+$315 IL. sales tax.
This Jimmy I'm guessing is highly optioned but i prefer roll up windows. It also has a plastic cladding attached to the bottom half of the doors that will collect dirt and hold moisture.I don't see this cladding on Blazers and have no idea why its there.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:48 AM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Why Do You Keep Buying Junky Blazers?

mine was given to me for free. Never have pruchased one, probably never will. haha. My blazer is 22 years old but will eventually get a fresh start with a V8

Old 10-02-2008, 10:00 AM
bad350v8s10tahoe is an unknown quantity at this point

A 59 el camino, cool! wish i could get my hands on a rust free one. I drive a blazer because they are capable daily drivers, light and with a v8 almost as quick as a good muscle truck. [8D]

Old 10-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Starting Member
Kage0113 is an unknown quantity at this point

Got mine for free too. But I've spent near $1500 adding some stuff and a lot for ball joints. But, it's a heck of a lot better than my old 89 Toyota Tercel hatchback. That thing was on it's last legs. But i love my Blazer.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Beginning Member
zokalr13 is an unknown quantity at this point

congrats on your new purchase!! i got me a [new to me]1996 blazer thats mint and i traded a zzr600 and my ol explorer for...this 4x4 is a nice unit but before i bought it i checked out EPINIONS which scared me a bit but it seemed like the ranters bought a truck that was built on a monday[:'(]..cmon,you just cant put gas in it and drive -you have to maintain your truck!!!-i want to know that this blazer is a truck worth putting $$ into as i didnt with my last 4x4[explorer] im like you, i only put on 5000 miles/yr as i ride a motorcycle to work and use my truck fortaking the dog outhiking ,towing trailer and med trails..i wanted a 4 runner or pathfinder but they had over 200,000 km andwere priced $5000.00 over the blazer..so now i saved $5000.00.....will i need this $$ for repairs or can i use it for mods??..QUESTION...what do i need to do to bulletproof my BLAZER- .................................................. ....... oh,BTW,i prefer rottweilers to dashhoonds..my current pooch is a shar-pei/beardog that likes to hunt [X(]