General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Why must people jerry rig cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 01:46 AM
thevair65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why must people jerry rig cars?

The other day i hear a wrattle in my exhaust. I got home and took a look at it. turns out none of the exhaust hangers are attached. Why didnt it wrattle before? zip ties a giant bundle of them.So i hook them up. working my way twards the headers i see a blob of junk on an exhause connection. so of course i pick at it. one little pick and the blob fell off. upon further inspectioni discoveritssome sort ofsealant. Great someone sealed an exhause leak with sealant not a weld. Thanks to me and my curiosity it leaks again. At this point im a little bothered. but its not over yet.
I went and got a new head unit to replace the empty hole. When picking up the harness a green wire falls down. Fallowing this wire to the end i find its not green its black and has a green wire attached to it. Ive got no clue what it does. Now its time to replace the speakers. well the previouse owner didnt remove the dash pad to put speakers in he simply cut a giant hole in it....... So i ordered a new dash pad and walked away for the day.
All and all the truck runs like a champ so im guessing the guy that owned it before didnt touch the engine and thats a blessing.

Anyone else out there have any funny jerry rigging storys?
[/align]

Old 06-20-2007, 07:35 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Why must people jerry rig cars?

Dont get me started. I could go all day long on ghetto wiring that I have seen. Lets just say, Im amazed more cars dont burst into flames!!

Old 06-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Lee
Lee is an unknown quantity at this point

There's a guy in the dorms where I live that uses bungee cords to hold his doors closed, and a tarp to cover the huge hole in his roof.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:09 AM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

A freind of mine covered his whole car in duct tape to cover the rust.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:45 AM
BLK85 is an unknown quantity at this point

I worked at a drag strip for a season and a half and helped out in the Tech Inspection once and you would be surprised how many people take the cheap route with their drag cars. Its almost amazing.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:08 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

Some of the non-electircal things i have seen:

car in zanesville as I was growing up covered in green carpet
a piece of plywood as a spoiler (painted silver and black of course)
landscape edging (black blastic) used as body kit
Bill might be able to verify this one - a Pontiac Lumina van converted into a pickup truck (ugly creation for sure) running around in Lancaster

Old 06-21-2007, 02:37 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

With tobacco farmers around here, they will saw the cab off an old scool bus and make itinto a tobacco hauler. I saw one on the road the other day with four lifting blocks on each spring and a big sprayer on the back, they made a highboy sprayer out of it!!!

Old 06-22-2007, 09:29 PM

wow hearing some of this makesmy zip tie exhaust not sound so bad.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:43 AM

found something new to add. I went to install the head unit and couldnt figure out why it wasnt working. refering to my chiltons book i found the old owner removed and changed the factory harnesses wireing. keeping the same plug but changeing the way it was connected. luckely chiltons was able to help me understand the wireing enough to change it back and make it work. thus far the most annoying electrical grimlen ive come acrossed. there will be more im sure. everything i find wrong i am going to redo. that should make things much better.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:30 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Sometimes you just have to make do with what you've got...

I've seen old pimping caddies towing a 5th wheel...
I've loaded a quad on to a 1993 Chevy Lumina Z34
Found out that the same Z34 can tow 3 hay bails (the big round ones) and not die...
My friend duct taped the front bumper of his neon, so it wouldn't fall off...

Quick Reply: Why must people jerry rig cars?