General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

width difference between axles

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 08:37 AM
dimone545 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default width difference between axles

Hey guys, I found a deal on some axles on craigslist but they are from a 79 bronco xlt. The Dana 44 and ford 9" to be exact. I know the best bronco axles are from earlier models but how much wider are these axles? Are we talking a couple inches or enough to where the tires will be completely out from under the blazer? The axles are out of town so I am hoping someone either has access to measure some or has some on their rig. I don't want them if they stick out all crazy, this will still be a road rig as well as an offroader.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:45 AM
skotti will become famous soon enough

These would be full width, rough guess close to 68" wms. so you would have about 4" extra on each side compared to the 66-77 bronco d44, waggy d44 and jeep d30 which are about 60". Rears are typically a tad smaller then front, only 9" thatll fit is 66-77 bronco.
Typical swap rears are 8.8s out of an explorer or rodeo 44. Thats your choices.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:47 PM
duxtoyz is on a distinguished road

im running a hp dana44 front from a 79 bronco and a dana44 rear from a 78 scout and the rear is normal width and the front is 6" wider than stock. im running 39x13.5 tires on mine and i have about 10"+ of tire sticking out on the front and half my tire sticking out on the rear with 2" wheel spacers on just the rear...............if this helps.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:51 PM

Can u send me pics of your rig? Front view rear etc. Email is dimone545@yahoo.com.. I really want the Dana 44's for the strength but there is also a Dana 30 with lockrite locker I can pick up in town for 350. Idk what to do. The Dana 44's I can get for 500 but that includes a tranny and transfer case that I can sell.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:43 PM

i wouldnt do the d30, ul be wasting ur time and for 350 even with the locker it isnt worth it. id do ur other deal, ul be ahead with that one. and yes, il email pics.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:12 AM

Thanks for the heads up. And by the way, send more pics!!! I love your rig!! Looks bad ***!!

Old 03-03-2012, 08:15 AM

thanks, its fun for sure....just stab it and steer it, itl go.......lol. it climbs trees great too, the wife hates that. lol. .

Old 03-03-2012, 09:56 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

you can probably compensate for the wide axles by having a no offset rim if possible or as low as you can go. when i have my 14.00 boggers on my 10 inch wide rims. the inside of the front tires are pretty much id say just about a inch or so under the front fenders. so thats about 12 inches on each side that sticks out. when i put the stock roller tires on it, they barely stick out.

im running fullsize 10bolts which are basically about the same width. ill see if i can find a pic of what im talking about

heres some with the little bitty tires on it
i really dont have any good ones with the small tires on it

and heres with the 33s

so yeah legality might be a issue with the full width axles. those last two were taken during the build phase, i now have 14 wides on it those are only 12

Old 03-03-2012, 10:46 AM

I was actually thinking that as well. My current rims stick out a bunch. My current offset is -46mm. So if I could find something that is + a bit I might be okay. Obviously not to much or I will not be able to even put the rims on because of the knuckle and what not. I wonder how much offset i could fit. I plan on going around a 37 or 38" tire. If I have to I will keep it around 12.5 wide like my 33's are now. God, so much to think about. i just dont wanna do it with a 30 and regret not going to a 44. i wish I could find an old bronco with the width i need. Decision would be done right then and there.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:54 AM

true abig84, if i put stocks on mine they would be fine. but since mine is mainly a toy i dont worry.......lol.

Quick Reply: width difference between axles