General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Won't Start When Cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 09:01 PM
Jerwhitt is on a distinguished road
Default Won't Start When Cold

Hello out there. My 2002 extreme doesn't start on cold mornings but will when the day heats up. Also if not started every 6 hours when its really cold all day same thing. Its done this for 3 yrs now, only for about January and February in southern California. The rest of the year its fine. I have to exccesibly crank and pump the gas pedal until it sputters, then hold the pedal down while sputtering and let it rev to 3,000 rpms and then it purrs like a kitten, and fine the rest of the day. Just replaced the feul pump, alternator and battery. Only this time of year. I'm surprised my battery doesn't die as much as I have to crank it. ???

Old 12-31-2021, 12:15 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

When it wont start does it crank at the normal speed?

Your last step is to hold the gas pedal to the floor. This engages clear flood mode which shuts off the fuel injectors so that a flooded condition can be cleared by only taking in air. Try this first next time.

If that does not do it then check for spark and fuel pressure while cranking when it wont start.

George

Old 12-31-2021, 12:25 AM

Ya it cranks normal. I'm reading about feul pressure. I got some testing to do. Thanks for your response

Old 12-31-2021, 10:51 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

I once heard that a bad ambient air temp sensor could cause problems when cold.

Old 12-31-2021, 02:21 PM

The air conditioning sensor? That's interesting. Ive had this truck 18 yrs now. Everything has been replaced, except smog crap. It passes if ya know what I mean. Still runs like when she had 17,000. She's got 161,000 on her now. The cold thing... I'm stumped. I can tell its not getting the right air/feul when she does this. Does it take more feul pressure to start in the cold? I doubt it. So I'm guessing its a smog system issue. I backed my muffler into a curb a few yes back, and the honey comb in the cat ratlles now and then. I know this truck. She ain't breathing right. Its gotta be smog crap
​​​​​
​​

​​​​​​
​​​​​​

Old 12-31-2021, 02:22 PM

The air conditioning sensor? That's interesting. Ive had this truck 18 yrs now. Everything has been replaced, except smog crap. It passes if ya know what I mean. Still runs like when she had 17,000. She's got 161,000 on her now. The cold thing... I'm stumped. I can tell its not getting the right air/feul when she does this. Does it take more feul pressure to start in the cold? I doubt it. So I'm guessing its a smog system issue. I backed my muffler into a curb a few yes back, and the honey comb in the cat ratlles now and then. I know this truck. She ain't breathing right. Its gotta be smog crap
​​​​​
​​

​​​​​​
​​​​​​

Old 01-19-2022, 07:55 PM
Starting Member
Graveyard is on a distinguished road

Hello Everyone,
I have the same problem, the battery seems to drain down and will not hit a lick in anything below 20 degrees. I even put the charger on the battery the night before.
Any input would be appreciated!

Old 01-19-2022, 08:01 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Graveyard
Hello Everyone,
I have the same problem, the battery seems to drain down and will not hit a lick in anything below 20 degrees. I even put the charger on the battery the night before.
Any input would be appreciated!
Can you explain your problem with more details? So the battery is dead from the truck sitting overnight? What does "hit a lick" mean?

George

Old 01-19-2022, 08:25 PM
Starting Member
Graveyard is on a distinguished road

Well, I'm from Ky as far as " Hit a Lick"....It means dead as Hell...lol.
I seem to have a slow drain on my battery, In normal weather, as long as I drive it every 2 or 3 days, it's fine. When the weather gets below 20 or 25 degrees, the
engine will not even try to turn over. That's even after having a battery tender on it all night. I'm wondering if my starter drags a little at the low temperatures.
It's strange because at warmer temps, there seems to be no drag on the starter or anything. I've replaced all my interior lights with led bulbs to reduce the battery drain
because sometimes I've come out the next morning and the interior lights are on. I've also replaced the door switches.
Thanks

Old 01-19-2022, 09:00 PM
BF Veteran

I always wanted to learn a new language. Lol. A couple of things come to mind. First, is the battery up to the task. Get the battery fully charged and then knock off the surface charge with about 20 seconds of headlights then turn everything off and measure the battery voltage at the terminals. Should be 12.6 V. Then measure the battery voltage on the terminals during a starting event. The next thing we need to do is measure the parasitic battery drain after everything goes to sleep and see if it’s excessive. If it is we need to find the offending circuit. Do you have an amp clamp meter or a multimeter with 10 amp capability?

George

Quick Reply: Won't Start When Cold