General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Would you buy a Blazer that won't start due to a "bad ground?"

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 04:21 PM
93S10TahoeLT is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Would you buy a Blazer that won't start due to a "bad ground?"

Attempting to fact-check this BEAUTIFUL truck.

What on earth could be wrong why this thing "Won't start?"

My first thoughts:

1. Locked/seized engine .....
2. Bad starter ?
3. A wire really is off (would not crank at all.)

Your thoughts?

93 s-10 blazer,in great cond..4x4

Attached Thumbnails Would you buy a Blazer that won't start due to a "bad ground?"-00d0d_camusyhsyn7_600x450.jpg   Would you buy a Blazer that won't start due to a "bad ground?"-00202_8gsp9fyeugc_600x450.jpg   Would you buy a Blazer that won't start due to a "bad ground?"-01313_4tieb7wlual_600x450.jpg  
Old 05-31-2016, 04:44 PM
Racer_X is on a distinguished road

If he has receipts for all the "new" parts, that truck might be worth his "firm" price if it was running.

To eliminate your first guess (unlikely, but check), take an appropriate wrench and turn the crank by hand. If anything feels funny, RUN AWAY.

It could be a bad starter, especially if the receipt is for a Made in China "Lifetime" starter from one of the discount auto parts stores.

It could be a corroded through/broken/missing ground strap, as well. If it was a first or second generation VW Golf/Jetta, I'd say look for the melted/charred speedometer cable that serves as "secondary ground" for the starter. I'm not sure what burns up as a secondary ground path on these vehicles.

One way to diagnose a missing or corroded ground strap is to hook a single jumper cable between the negative battery terminal and a big ground point on the engine (the lift tab on the drivers side near the front, if it's there). If it starts with that jumper cable, it's a bad ground strap.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:42 PM
93S10TahoeLT is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Racer_X
If he has receipts for all the "new" parts, that truck might be worth his "firm" price if it was running.

To eliminate your first guess (unlikely, but check), take an appropriate wrench and turn the crank by hand. If anything feels funny, RUN AWAY.

It could be a bad starter, especially if the receipt is for a Made in China "Lifetime" starter from one of the discount auto parts stores.

It could be a corroded through/broken/missing ground strap, as well. If it was a first or second generation VW Golf/Jetta, I'd say look for the melted/charred speedometer cable that serves as "secondary ground" for the starter. I'm not sure what burns up as a secondary ground path on these vehicles.

One way to diagnose a missing or corroded ground strap is to hook a single jumper cable between the negative battery terminal and a big ground point on the engine (the lift tab on the drivers side near the front, if it's there). If it starts with that jumper cable, it's a bad ground strap.

If there isn't any rust ? (I'm genuinely curious) I want it.. Its a pretty color and its a 93, so no high-mount brake light to fool with (last year of. Went on my Mom's GMC and cost like $230 to change... Not relevant.)

I'm curious to see if it turns at all
Bad starter, it wouldnt turn at all. IIRC.. 19mm wrench or socket on any one of the pulleys? Or does it have to be a 30mm/32mm/36mm right at the fan clutch or main crank pulley..

THIS one could be a keeper. The last two I had began life as cheap trucks, one had a bum engine (bought it for the wheels not the truck and tragedy ensued) the second ran fine but I was too broke to do basic and *whoop* sucked an electrode out of an ORIGINAL spark plug.. Again, shoukda changed those first thing.. Anyways.. This one? "THIRD TIME IS THE CHARM."

My Blazers from 10 years ago don't count.

If anything happens. I'll post back...

Old 05-31-2016, 09:08 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

It would be a socket and wrench on the main crank pully

Old 06-02-2016, 10:16 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

Sounds fishy that he would sell it that cheap just because of a bad ground. Most shops wouldn't charge that much to legitimately diagnose it.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:26 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

could be anything. might be a computer issue, may have tried jumping it and fried the entire electrical system. if it has a bunch of goodies on it and its clean it may be worth it.

i bought my 93 about 8 years ago sight unseen, guy said something is wrong with the transmission. get it home and the front axle is busted, heater core is blown, and a bunch of other crap he forgot to meantioned, but i only paid $350 for it and still using his "bad trans" to this day.

so he probably doesnt have any clue with it, might be the starter, ignitions switch, bad battery. never know