General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

wow freon!

Old 05-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wow freon!

my air conditioning hasn't worked since i bought it (in december) and now that it is getting warmer i thought i might as well look into getting it recharged with freon........39.99 for labor and 40 per pound(X2) so i'm going to have to pay $120 for the recharge............... he said i had the older stuff and that was the price for it. so how is it for the rest of these blazers?

Old 05-06-2008, 06:56 PM
noom14921992 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: wow freon!

do it your self and it is MAXX $50 with the recharge kits

if you have to get a r22 conversion to r134a it will cost more like you said

Old 05-06-2008, 08:27 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

I going to say something here I probably shouldn't because one I'll get a bunch of flax, two they don't want people to know this. First I hold an EPA Type I & II license for high pressure refrigeration. I also hold an ASE A/C Cert. I have held these for years. I worked commerical refrigeration before I retired, a friend of mine owned a shop when I retired out of the mechanical business I worked with him for a few years until he passed away.
My wife's 93 Lumina needed the A/C fixed. It was an R12 unit, well I took it to a shop that I know the owners. They pulled a vacuum fixed a smal leak & recharged with R134A. It works great. 36 degrees at the air vents. Does anyone notice anything different about this? Let me tell you. The filter/drier & oil are the same as with R12 MINERAL OIL, with R134A. Not suppose to work, The claim is that MINERAL OIL WON'T MIX with R134A the oil won't carry in R134A is the claim made by 99% of the experts. Well, If the oil won't carry then why has the compressor not failed? How long can a compressor run without oil?
This is for what it is worth. I won't discuss this further, meaning I don't care if you believe it or not.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Zasder is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont do it yourself unless you know what your doing

R12 is very dangerous if you dont know what your doing...this is not a simple DIY learn as you go process.

Last summer, a guy tried recharging his AC with R12 and didnt know what he was doing, R12 is extremly cold, he messed up and the can sprayed everywhere and all over him. the R12 spray hit his eyes and froze them instantly. As soon as he blinked, his eyes shattered like glass with a brick going through it.
Spend the extra money and get it done professionally

Old 05-06-2008, 09:44 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I've done 3 vehicles that were factory equipped with freon (which is r12/22 I take it?) and dumped in the R134a recharge cans.

Not going against you 4x4blazerguy just adding, as I had no idea about the oil/lube/filter issues with the switch, but I thought the retro-fit was more a deal of replacing the connectors with R134a connectors (different size coupling than the freon systems). But you can buy an adapter kit at Autozone for 8 or 9 bucks. Did it on my '87 pontiac, my neighbors '92 civic, and my grandpa's '90 S10. The GM retrofit adapter kit worked fine on all three (civic was probably just lucky), and all 3 systems ran very cold, with no compressor issues.

Don't pay a shop to do it basically....get yourself a recharge kit, maybe pick up an a/c recharge adapter kit from autozone (you can return it later if not used), and see what happens

Old 05-06-2008, 11:19 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

u need a license in some states to buy freon so u might wanna look into that if u plan on doing it urself. my dad used to be a mechanic and has his license so he helps me out and i get it done for free cuz my dad has a stash of freon.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:43 AM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Zasder

As soon as he blinked, his eyes shattered like glass with a brick going through it.

I call BS on thatfor it to freeze like that it would have to be liquid nitrogen liquid R12 is not cold enough to shatter an eye ball after getting hit with it for a second I would be more worried about getting sprayed in the eyewith the oil that comes out with the pressure.
I have personally stuck my finger in a shot glass full of liquid R12 it is cold and kinda bubbles and sizzles but no where near cold enough to freeze something solid to shatter it.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:15 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Coulda frozen the cornea, and the blink ripped the cornea off...

And the MSDS for R12 lists the boiling point as -29* C, or -20*F, which is pretty chilly for any human organ, much less fluid covered eyes...

AND on top of that, the sudden decompression would further drop the temperature of the surrounding air, so the eye would have cooled off much faster, flash freezing it, as opposed to your finger in the shot glass which still had body heat to sustain the skin..

So it is quite possible that happened, hush with your bs calls.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:23 PM

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

I've done 3 vehicles that were factory equipped with freon (which is r12/22 I take it?) and dumped in the R134a recharge cans.

Not going against you 4x4blazerguy just adding, as I had no idea about the oil/lube/filter issues with the switch, but I thought the retro-fit was more a deal of replacing the connectors with R134a connectors (different size coupling than the freon systems). But you can buy an adapter kit at Autozone for 8 or 9 bucks. Did it on my '87 pontiac, my neighbors '92 civic, and my grandpa's '90 S10. The GM retrofit adapter kit worked fine on all three (civic was probably just lucky), and all 3 systems ran very cold, with no compressor issues.

Don't pay a shop to do it basically....get yourself a recharge kit, maybe pick up an a/c recharge adapter kit from autozone (you can return it later if not used), and see what happens

Wolfpack,
You just verified my point exactly. If you have an OLD CAR, like in the 60s-70s then o-rings might need to be changed & hoses etc. But most vehicles in the 80-00 are fine for R134A. Yea just change the fitting on the low side to except R134A and go. Glkad to see someone here knows about it. Because I have caught crap on other forums for saying what I did here.
Craig
Craig

Old 05-07-2008, 05:39 PM

ORIGINAL: xmradioguy

ORIGINAL: Zasder

As soon as he blinked, his eyes shattered like glass with a brick going through it.

I call BS on thatfor it to freeze like that it would have to be liquid nitrogen liquid R12 is not cold enough to shatter an eye ball after getting hit with it for a second I would be more worried about getting sprayed in the eyewith the oil that comes out with the pressure.
I have personally stuck my finger in a shot glass full of liquid R12 it is cold and kinda bubbles and sizzles but no where near cold enough to freeze something solid to shatter it.
Where were you that you could stick your finger a cup or bowl of liquid R12? R12 boils at around -30 below zero. Liquid R12 turns to gas at anything above that if not under pressure.
So I find your story a little unbelievable. I worked on Refers that reached -100 below zero. They needed a 2 stage system to get that cold. If liquid R12 or even Propane (which boils at -44 below zero.) hits your hand it boils off, right away, can freeze the spot on your hand in an instant.
I believe if liquid R12 hits you in the eye major damage could be very possible. A shot of -30 below zero spells trouble. When I worked for a Government contractor we had buildings that where for storage that were keep at -30 Below zero couldn't vary anymore than 3 degrees. We had to wear protection so our lungs wouldn't freeze when working in them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wow freon!