General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

zr2 or ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:40 PM
Starting Member
jayj99jimmy is on a distinguished road
Default zr2 or ?

there is a zr2 blazer with 123k miles for sale near me for 3995. I am very tempted as i love the zr2 looks and that they are significantly more capable than my stock 2 door 4x4 jimmy.

I am just curious about longevity and overall happiness of ownership. I dont know how much after market stuff i will be doing, at least major stuff that is like suspension etc.

I am wondering, if i am considering changing out of my 2door regular 4x4 jimmy and getting a more capable 4x4, what are your guys opinion on say a z71 colorado vs a zr2 blazer as far as long term reliability, rust, repairs, servicing costs etc, as well as capabilities off road, and fuel efficiency etc. I really like the way the zr2 blazers and s10/sonomas etc all look, but i want to make the right choice.

just looking for as many peoples opinions and comparisons so maybe i can help decide which one is for me.

what i like about the zr2, mainly the looks and the factory lift and beefier suspension components, the higher torque rating (although i really dont tow anything)

what i like about the colorado, mainly the better fuel mileage, more modern design, possibly a slightly better interior once again more modern, and slightly higher ground clearance.

any ideas? i know the colorado is a little more expensive still, should i jump on the zr2, or keep looking for a better deal on one? or save my piggy bank for a good deal on a z71?

Old 08-13-2013, 07:07 AM
Beginning Member
Sonj is on a distinguished road

A few questions to start off.

1.) What year is it. It is always helpful in determining the price point it should start at.

2.) Is it for sale by owner or by a dealer of some sort? Again its helpful in why its listed for that price.

3.) Can you get your hands on any maint logs? Seeing as blazers are notorious for ball joint issues and wheel bearings its always good to see if they have been replaced and if so has it been recently.

4.) Tires, are they in good condition? Rubber can get expensive. If they are not in good shape then factor in the cost of replacing them.

Personally I feel that is a bit high for anything 2003 or older. I payed 3k as a private sale, Body had 110k while supposedly the engine was 60k or so but I never verified it. Its a 2000 and I bought it 2 years ago. Just to give you an idea.

So for 4k it better be newer or have a whole bunch of new parts but even then the mileage could be high or low depending on the year it is.

As for whether you should get the Colorado or a ZR2 that is one you need to make. I can tell you I love my blazer and if I am ever confronted with the choice to get another I would in a heart beat. Its a beast when I want it to be and its a nice tinker toy to make it your own.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:37 AM
slcblazer is on a distinguished road

It all depends on the specs, the regular maintenance of the car and over all condition. I paid 2500 for my 99 with 170k miles. The only problems I have ever had have been brought on by my own mistakes. I love my zr2 and chevy in general. If that zr2 checks out I would haggle them down a bit.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Starting Member
jayj99jimmy is on a distinguished road

this is the one i posted about, its on craigslist

2000 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4WD #9532

Old 08-13-2013, 02:17 PM
slcblazer is on a distinguished road

It looks really clean, but the engine could be trashed. I would go check it out for sure, test drive it really hard check all the fluids have someone rev the engine a bunch and watch the tail pipe for a lot of smoke make to sure the inside seals aren't gone. then haggle the price