General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

ZR2 brush guard on S10

Old 09-03-2008, 08:17 PM
blazerboy124 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ZR2 brush guard on S10

so i found someone selling a brush guard from a 2002 blazer ZR2 at an extremely low price. i went there and the guy told me "no waythat's going to fit on your blazer, which is a 97 LS. so i bought it anyway, needless to say i found a way to install it on my blazer.

what i did was i completely removed mystock skid plateand mounted it using the bolts to my tow hooks up front, pretty much sandwiched the frame between the tow hooks and mounting brackets.

my only problem is that every now and again my entire brush guard shakes. like when i hit a pot hole or the odd thing when i am going exactly 65 MPH it will shake. but if im going 60 or 70 its fine.

any suggestions?

Old 09-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: ZR2 brush guard on S10

Strengthen your mounts. Everything is flexing way too much which would lead me to believe that your mounting scheme is way too flimsy.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:41 PM

how would you suggest istrengthen them?

Old 09-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Really depends on how you have them mounted now. Gonna have to get creative. The ZR2 frame is different than the rest of the Blazer line.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:46 PM

yeah, i was thinking about just straight up welding it to my frame, which i decided would be a bad idea becaus i am a terrible welder. i was also thinking about fabing up some mounts which i could bolt directly onto my frame. what are yout thoughts on welding vs bolting?

Old 09-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Snap some pics of how you have it mounted now. The more angles, the better. Bolting is preferred.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:51 PM

okay, i will take some pics tomrrow, its kind real dark out right now. i can try to describe how i have them and then post pics later.

if youre laying on your back under the rig, i have the mounting bolts for the tow hooks going through the brackets for the brush guard, through the frame and they thread into the tow hooks themselves. i will definatly post pics tomorrow or later in the week.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:54 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I'd say no welding...You cant remove the grille or bumper with a welded on brush guard

Old 09-03-2008, 08:57 PM

yeah i was kind of hesitent when i thought of welding, hence why i havent done it yet. where are you located?

Old 09-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Administrator

But you may be able to weld in another bracket that can then provide for more bolts. It all depends on how it looks. If it is like I think it is, a support further up would strengthen it a bunch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ZR2 brush guard on S10