General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

ZR2 spare carrier, lower than stock; where find?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Beginning Member
HighAlt is on a distinguished road
Default ZR2 spare carrier, lower than stock; where find?

Let's try this again........have heard of after-market ZR2 spare carriers that are lower than stock. I can drop the license plate down to compensate for resultant plate obstruction. Tips on where to find? I tried ebay, no results; possibly I'm using wrong search terminology?

HighAlt

Old 12-21-2011, 01:27 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

As far as I know there is no lower carrier itself. There IS, however, a plate that you bolt to the carrier and then bolt the tire to the plate. This was made by a private individual a few years back but not being made now. Others have just made a plate for themselves.

I had one and it worked great when I had 31's but not so good when I put 33's on. Ended up selling it a couple of years back.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the reply. The search/solution continues......

Maybe I could get one of those late 60's/early 70's collapsible spare tires. Hey, their diameter is really small.

Only kidding......

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-22-2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:05 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

There are some differences between Z and non-Z carriers as mdehoogh and I figured out. Just can't remember what they were. I'll PM him to direct him to this thread as he has a better memory than I.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:51 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

I'm still not positive there are any differences but I have noticed that the tires on ZR2s appear higher up. My 31" tire just barely overlaps the license plate which makes it hard to read if you're higher up. I've seen ZR2s with 33's that still don't overlap the license plate so unless they've raised the tire, there have to got to be differences.

After looking into it some, I think that the Z carriers have the 'hub' positioned closer to the top bar. That hub has four 'arms' that attach it to the top and bottom bars of the carrier and on ZR2s, the lower 'arms' seem to be longer than on the carrier I have. I'll try and get a pic later on

However, I know for a fact that 95-97 carriers (which is what I have) had a single stud on top and two on bottom which is opposite of what the 98+ carriers have. I suppose the height difference could also be another change that occurred during the 98 update.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:42 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks!

Old 12-23-2011, 11:25 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I doubt anybody makes one for something like a s-series. You will prolly have to take one made for a jeep and mod it or use it as a template to make one for the chevy.

spare tire relocation bracket - Google Search

Old 12-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Beginning Member

Beginning to look as if the custom fit will be the only choice.......thanx for the feedback!

Old 01-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Starting Member
tripovermyego is on a distinguished road

Would the spare tire carrier fit on a 4 door blazer? I like the way they look and want to add one to mine

Old 01-28-2012, 03:01 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

If you don't have the factory bracing welded inside the body you are asking for body damage.

Quick Reply: ZR2 spare carrier, lower than stock; where find?