General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 Money sucking Blazer at it AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 10:46 AM
jadewolf32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1998 Money sucking Blazer at it AGAIN

Well here I go AGAIN! My Blazer is going back to the shop for more work. As some of you already know, fuel pump, EGR valve, 4x4 issues, hood latch, door handle, alternator, heater core ( which I'm not even going to deal with until Sept) you get the drift.
Well now pulled codes for all O2 sensors, MAF, and I love this one P0300---random/multiple cylinder misfire! When the guy was looking under the hood and asking me if I had over 160,000 miles on her I said NO try only 76,000 miles and he was like DAMN GIRL bad luck? HAHAHAHA NOOOO not me with this POS! But he also noticed my coil is fried. So lets add that along with the clutch switch! So I went and cleaned my engine before she goes in tomorrow and decided to check all my fluid levels, the battery had 3 dry cells, and I couldn't get my radiator cap off to save my soul so I asked this guy if he could help and when he finally got it off----------- OH MY GOD it should be pink in color yeah right it is rust colored with a bunch of thick looking gunk, that's why I couldn't get the cap off my self. What's weird is I always looked into my over flow and that looks fine, she never has over heated but now I'm afraid if I do a flush what issues will that cause me? I have heard once you do a flush on these the water pump goes not long after because the DEX COOL **** breaks down the gaskets. [&o]
[] SAD SAD Blazer, the only reason I can even afford to get anything done is the place I purchased it from is doing the work and adding the total to the end of my loan, and I just figured out I already paid 5200 with my down payment and monthly payments and as of today my balance is standing at 10,250---- because of the past work added on, this IS NOT including how much tomorrow's bill will add on! I need a tissue .
So should I have them check anything else while they have her?

Old 05-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 1998 Money sucking Blazer at it AGAIN

Holy crap, Barbara, you've seriously got yourself a bad Blazer. I've never heard of anyone having such bad luck with a truck before. Was ANYTHING covered under your warranty from the place you bought it from? I'd say it SHOULD be!!

Old 05-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Be sure to tell your mechanic to check ALL of the grounds for the PCM and body BEFORE replacing the O2 sensors. For ALL of the O2 sensors to crap out at once, well... That just doesn't make sense. My parents caddy was getting multiple O2 sensor fault codes and it was traced down to a cut ground for the O2 sensors and PCM on the back of the engine.

The dexcool problem is unfortunate, but one thing sticks out. Your heater core is having issues... If that is allowing air into the system, it's no wonder you are having problems. The cooling system is supposed to be a closed system. If your heater core was/is leaking, as the engine cools off, instead of pulling coolant from the res back into the system, it'll pull in air from the leaking area. You could have this exact same problem again in a few months if the integrity of the cooling system restored. Or you could just do what many have done and switch to the green coolant, but you'll still want to get that heater core fixed ASAP.

The MAF can be cleaned and probably that's all that is necessary. The multiple misfire code could be a result of the combination of O2 sensor and MAF sensor troubles, but to be sure I would replace the cap/rotor, plugs & wires.

Was this truck even running when you brought it in to this guy? Have you ever considered taking it someplace else? Sounds like A LOT to be wrong with a vehicle and seems like he is milking the issue for all it's worth.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:14 AM

NOPE nothing was covered at all. I would swear if it wasn't CODES I was pulling, and seeing this **** wrong with my own 2 eyes I would think they are taking me but I can SEE everything that has gone wrong. And I feel like a fool even the lady that takes the payments said the same thing.... She has NEVER seen anyone have so many issues with ONE ride. And they sell mostly high mileage ****. That was why I jumped on this only had 66,000 miles for a 98 so I figured it should be good for awhile... YEAH RIGHT hold on while I get up off the floor from laughing so hard! I can't cry anymore I cant stress any more, just gonna let them get it done and pay untill I'm 90 ****ing years old [&o]. I now understand why she already had 2 owners and both didn't keep it over 32,000 miles each. The first one had issues with number 2 cylinder, and the second owner had a BUNCH of front end work, issues with the 4x4, and a new clutch. ( Found all of his paperwork in the glove box) I even asked no begged them to let me trade this because of all the issues and they said I would be out even more money which I don't understand because the other ZR2 Blazers they did have had higher milage ( like 120,000) just it was newer ( one was a 2000 the other one a 2002). I can feel the black cloud of doom following me when it comes to this Blazer. But what else can I do at this point? I have a TON of money invested and I would NEVER get close to my pay off amount if I sell it and I can't trade it in anywhere else because of bad bad BAD credit issues and I'm so upside down I'm riding on the roof!

Old 05-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Codes are deceiving and if that is all your mechanic is going on, RUN AWAY. Too many times mechanics just go *****-nilly replacing the sensors which are indicated by the codes, but as I alluded to in my previous post, codes can be caused by other issues completely unrelated to the sensor indicated. Sometimes they get lucky, but if they don't, you pay for a sensor that they'll claim "was part of the problem".

Alittle investigative work with a scanner will show if there is a larger problem at hand. Heck, I'm not a full time or certified mechanic, but I have the tools to properly diagnose any modern vehicle. It just takes a bit of time to do it right.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:41 AM

Yeah she runs, what happens is my SES light comes on she runs like **** then she will be fine and the light goes back off. I went 4 wheeling this past weekend and on the way up she was kinda running jerky, and the SES light was on, but I was like the hell with it I'm gonna go 4 wheeling anyways. Well while 4 wheeling the light went off and she running great, I even got into a small battle for postion on the highway coming home, (I know, bad girl with my past tickets for having a lead foot) it was between Me - a chevy- a jeep- a saturn- and a ford mustang [8D] and I passed them all. Which you have to understand usally I'm the one that always gets past because I have NO POWER when climbing or putting any pull on the motor. So she was running AWSOME!
As far as the heator core I didn't even think about that. right now I have the 2 hoses looped together by- passing the core all together. I'm NOt looking forward to getting that job done because as you all know out comes my dash board and there goes A LOT of money because I have to have someone that KNOWS what they are doing so I don't have other issues with wires and crap when they put it back together.
Dont you see the word FOOL--[X(] DUMB ***--[sm=alcoholic.gif] GET ME WITH NO VASALINE---- [sm=chairshot.gif] across my forehead? [sm=headbang.gif]

Old 07-11-2006, 03:35 PM
guywm25 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is a late reply, but this may help others out. I too had irregular idle, I replaced numerous ignition parts then gave up to it to a local mechanic and what they found was that the gear at the bottom of the distribotor was well worn