General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'96 Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 05:46 PM
Cuppy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default '96 Transmission Problem

Ok, I have had many problems with my mechanic over the past 6 months. The first thing that went wrong was a cracked head, so i brought it in to get fixed, and ended up getting another engine. He told us that I was going to need a new tranny also, so I had him put one in. Now, I only have a few gears. Once i get to around 20 mph, i have to let off the gas and let it shift. I think I also have 2nd or 3rd gear. On the interstate going 65mph, i'm at 3000rpm, which i know is not good. I am also missing a speed sensor, but my spedometer and all gauges are fine. Can someone please help me out ?

Old 07-14-2006, 07:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: '96 Transmission Problem

How long ago did he put the transmission in? Did he provide any kind of warranty with it?

Old 07-14-2006, 11:32 PM

Back in January, and no warranty. I dont know what to do. It is driveable, but i need to let off the gas everytime i get to 20mph and then its fine, but has high rpms at 65

Old 07-15-2006, 11:35 PM

Is their anyone who can help me out ?

Old 07-16-2006, 12:05 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have reverse? If not, it's probably your reaction sun shell and a full rebuild of the transmission would be required.

And I hope you got a deal on the install of the yard tranny cause if not... Well...

Old 07-16-2006, 12:28 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: Cuppy

Ok, I have had many problems with my mechanic over the past 6 months. The first thing that went wrong was a cracked head, so i brought it in to get fixed, and ended up getting another engine. He told us that I was going to need a new tranny also, so I had him put one in. Now, I only have a few gears. Once i get to around 20 mph, i have to let off the gas and let it shift. I think I also have 2nd or 3rd gear. On the interstate going 65mph, i'm at 3000rpm, which i know is not good. I am also missing a speed sensor, but my spedometer and all gauges are fine. Can someone please help me out ?
Sounds like you have 2 problems, a bad mechanic and a bad transmission.
If this was a junkyard transmission, it's possible it was sitting for a long time and it's possible that the valves are sticking in the valve body. Does the tranny have the correct fluid level and is it clean. Spend some time checking the wiring and that all the electrical connectors are connected to the transmission and follow the wiring harness from the transmission forward to see if they're connected.

What speed sensor are you missing?
If it's an input to the PCM for the transmission, the tranny won't shift properly ( no effect on the speedo)

Sorry no cure here, just ideas.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:30 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

IF you dont have a vehicle speed sensor your speedometer wouldn't work, and neither should your tranny.

Your '96 has an electronically controlled tranny. The VSS is one of the sensors that feed info to the ECM to help control the tranny shift points. Being electroninc there is no tv cable to control shifting, its done by servos.

3K rpm @65 sounds like your not shifting into 4th gear. Taht would be bad. I would avoid the highway until you get this figured out. Does it shift into 4th gear?

Did your mechanic use the old torque converter? If so, that could be your problem. The torque converter is going out. It would still require dropping the tranny, however it wouldn't require rebuilding the tranny, nor taking it apart. Unfortunately, the torque converter is what tranfers power from the engine to the tranny, and the tranny has to come out to replace it. So you could get lucky.

In your case, find a good tranny shop and get it diagnosed.

Another possibility is the MAP sensor. It converts vacuum into electrical information the ECM uses to control tranny shifts. Both the VSS and MAP are used by the ECM together to control the tranny shift points.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:02 PM

My Father doesn't really get along with our mechanic anymore because he never did tell us whether he used the old transmission and a new torque converter, or the old torque converter and the new tranny. I just dont understand why its doing this. I have reverse. When i get to 20 mph, i let off the gas and let it shift, then im fine until i get around 60-65mph, and if i step on it, it revs way up to 5000rpms, even if i step on it going 10mph.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

wow, this is a mess Cuppy! Honestly I'd say go to another mechanic, someone that you feel is reputable, have them give you a diagnosis and then take the other mechanic to small claims court for the amount it will cost to repair it properly. I had something like this happen to me with a car I had. The motor needed a rebuild and the mechanic I trusted to do it screwed it up horribly. When I asked him about it, he took it back to "repair" it but made it worse. I wound up needing a new engine because of that guy. But I took him to court and got the money back that I gave him, which helped with the new bill.

To me it sounds like maybe second or third gear is not engaging on your transmission? But they are right, the only PROPER way to store a transmission thats used is FULL of fluid, anything else, you might as well rebuild the sucker.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:25 PM

I've had two people work on it. One is a real mechanic, and the other is the one that owns the salvage yard. When it first needed fixing, we brought it to the Salvage yard. The tranny worked fine before we brought it to him. Then when we got it back, it was over $1000 in bills. Then we brought it to the real mechanic and he told us that the guy at the salvage yard wired everything wrong when he put the engine in. The new mechanic re-wired everything and nothing helped the transmission. We had another $800 there. I just need to know what i should do now. I'm only 17 and only make about $160 a week.

Quick Reply: '96 Transmission Problem