General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Blazer Anti Lock Brake Problem / ABS Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 09:42 AM
oldspwr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 97 Blazer Anti Lock Brake Problem / ABS Light

I am trying to chase a few problems on my wifes 97 Blazer and need some help with the anti lock brakes. A while back the antilock brake light came on and it was only on for about a week. It turned on and off for the past month and now it has been on for a while.

I am pretty sure it's one of the front wheel sensors since she had the ball joints replaced under warranty a year ago. My question is, how can you check the antilock brake codes without an expensive scan tool? I all ready own AutoTap but that won't check the anti lock brake codes. I even tried Advanced Auto and they couldn't check it either. The local garage wants $50 just to check the code...

I searched the forum before I wrote this and wasn't able to find anything... Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks...

Tom

Old 07-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 97 Blazer Anti Lock Brake Problem / ABS Light

Welcome to the site Tom!!

I too HAD an Autotap and I loved it until my '01 Bonneville had the airbag light pop up. $75 to the dealer and I knew what sensor was bad. That was when I decided to find a better scan tool.

Anyway, intermittent ABS lights can be caused by a few different things. #1 problem is dirt/grease/whatever on the reluctor ring (square tooth gear) that the WSS (wheel speed sensor) reads. If there is stuff built up on the ring or sensor, it may cause it to get an inaccurate reading. After so many 'hickups', it'll trigger the ABS light. #2 problem may be caused by insufficient grounding of the ABS sensors.

I would check the reluctor rings and all grounds in the engine compartment and see how it goes from there. Also, pull apart the electrical connection for the WSS and make sure that there isn't any corrosion inside the connector itself. Inspect the wires for each WSS for breaks in the protective sleeve or any signs of abrasion.

Good luck and keep us posted. I can look up some more information if necessary.