General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 S-10 Blazer Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 06:10 PM
kajunkerr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 97 S-10 Blazer Brakes

The brake pedal when depressed goes about halfway down before brakes begin to engage. How far should the pedal move on this year model?

I have done the following since I got the vehicle,

Changed pads and shoes
changed rear calipers
Changed brake lines where I thought needed

All this needed to be changed out when I got it but the pedal performance hasn't improved and I am pretty sure I have all air out.
The pedal doesn't fade out when depressed and engaged. It just seems to go a long ways before engaging well. I haven't touched anything on anti lock brake setup mounted on top of fenderwell and is there a way to check that.

I took it to a chevy dealer but they were no help with what they told me ( another story)

can someone help please.....

thanks

Old 05-30-2006, 06:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 97 S-10 Blazer Brakes

Welcome to BlazerForum.com!

If you are sure that you have all of the air out of the system, then it is possible that your master cylinder is on its way out...

Old 05-30-2006, 06:31 PM

I haven't replaced that yet and was hesitating on doing so but sounds like I need to. How far should the brake pedal go down, I wouldn't think very far but I wasn't sure on these older models.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Functionally, there isn't any difference between your '97 and my '00 Bravada. I feel my brakes start to apply within the first 1/2" to 1" of brake pedal travel. If you feel nothing until 1/2 way, there is something amiss.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:12 PM

I will pick up a master cylinder this evening.

Do you know of any special brake bleeding for the ABS or just bleed the system normally at bleeders by the wheels.

Old 05-30-2006, 10:42 PM
cherryred4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

as far as I know, there isnt any special bleeding for ABS, just more brake line length to bleed. I always start from the right rear, and work towards the master cylinder, furthest to closest

Old 06-01-2006, 02:07 PM

I have replaced master cylinder and brakes work much better. STill have to depress about 1.5" to engage. I may still have air in lines and will have to bleed some more. It was a little tough bleeding while instructing my 16 year old daughter when to push and release pedal. I will let ya'll know how it turns out.

My next issue is that the front end is a lot lower than the rear. I have put a brush bumper on it added some wieght. What would be the best fix here? Front end lift kit? or is there an adjustment on this thing somewhere. I would like to pick up front end 3-4".

I will include pic of vehicle on next upload.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Well, all master cylinders are a bit different and 1.5" isn't really all that much. It's MUCH better than 1/2 way to the floor!

How much weight did the brush bar add to the front end? To compensate, the torsion bar keys can be adjusted, but I have never done this and wouldn't know where to begin. You probably won't be able to get 3-4 inches out of it, but you should be able to restore the factory ride height.

Let me see if I can dig up some instructions for adjusting the torsion bars.