General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99Blazer electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Blazin99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 99Blazer electrical problem

Ive had my truck for a year and a half now. About 6 months after i got it, the interior lights would flash every once in a while when i started the truck and owuld stop after a few mintues. This happened when it rained and stopped after a week or so. About a month ago, my alternator went and i replaced it with a new one. Everything was fine, but then the flashing lights started happening again, and not just every once in a while, but every time i flipped on the ignition. It stops after about a minute. Then my car would just randomly turn off. sometimes at a stoplight but would start back up. 2 days ago it stopped and didnt come back on. my battery is a year old and a have a bran new alternator. when i go to turn it on, it makes a clicking sound, and jumping it does nothing. i tried it an hour after it first stopped turning on and it went back on. since then i have tried 3 times to turn it on, but does not work. the guages all jumped up all the way, even speedometer and gas. Now it wont make hte cliking sound or even light up, but when i jump it nothing happens. i was wondering if anyone had the same problems and if so what might it be. i am going to change my battery because even though its a 36month, i have an ipod charger/transmitter, and XM radio, so i figured they might just be draining the batter, but why the flashing lights and no starting. Please, if anyone has any idea or information on this, it would be great.
Thanks,
Erik

Old 06-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 99Blazer electrical problem

I hate to sound like a broken record, but this also (like so many other posts lately) sounds like a failing ignition switch. If the ignition switch was triggering the interior lights to turn on (like what happens when you turn off your truck), but not only when you shut it off... And now that the gauges were malfunctioning and the no-start. All sound like ignition switch problem.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:32 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

And if it isn't the ignition switch, it might be a bad connection at the starter, or wiring that runs to from the starter.

I would start with the wiring and connections only cuase they are free, but more then likely it will be thw switch.

Could be a low battery, have it tested for free.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Beginning Member
greengoose89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Had the same thing happen to my 98 a while back. I thought for sure it was the starter so after the fun of replaceing that twice (if anybody needs any hints on that, let me know, i learned SEVERAL little tricks after removing twice and reinstalling twice) I finally tested the battery and it was bad. I popped in a new battery and it was fine. Mine wouldn't start when being jumped either which is what led me to think it was the starter... Yeah... not so much... At least i have a new starter though so i don't have to worry about that for a while