General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

AC

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 02:53 AM
Beginning Member
supermancs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AC

I tried my AC today and noticed its blowing warm air out when I have on the cold settings? What could cause this and how do I fix it?

Old 05-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Jman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: AC

Did you give it a chance to get cold? If you did and it is still warm air, then its time for a recharge of the AC.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:33 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

Ya, mine last summer blew hot air until I gave it a a recharge. My friend had a can in her trunk and refilled me and since then I have nice cool air coming through.

Old 05-19-2006, 03:12 AM
Annekat91 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: m00nwater

Ya, mine last summer blew hot air until I gave it a a recharge. My friend had a can in her trunk and refilled me and since then I have nice cool air coming through.
How does this work? I was just talking to a mechanic about mine, as the compressor is coming on too often, which he says means it is getting low on freon. He says for them to recharge it, the freon is $80 per lb., and it might just need one lb., but with labor it would be $151. Where does one get a can, is it anywhere near that expensive, and how easy is it to do?

Anne
'91 S-10 Blazer, 2 dr., 4.3L, 4X4
153,000 miles

Old 05-19-2006, 10:02 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

You can get it from NAPA, I'm pretty sure. You can also get them to refill it for about $20-30 there, I think.

P.S. Welcome back Kat...haven't seen you in a while

Old 05-19-2006, 07:29 PM
Beginning Member

I took it the shop today and they said they it would only take a 1 lb of frion and no more would go in. They said it would be about $800 to fix the AC problem (replacing the compressor and other things in there). I'm gonna wait alittle while and have it fixed.

Old 05-21-2006, 03:38 AM
Annekat91 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: m00nwater

You can get it from NAPA, I'm pretty sure. You can also get them to refill it for about $20-30 there, I think.

P.S. Welcome back Kat...haven't seen you in a while
Wow, that's a much cheaper way to go...... I wonder why it's so much more at the mechanic's. I hope it doesn't need more than a recharge. Here in the Pacific Northwest, we don't really need the A/C as much as some places, but we do need the defroster, which I guess is related in some way. (Both use the compressor and freon? Correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks for the welcome back...... I've just been a little tired and busy lately.

Anne

Old 05-21-2006, 10:50 AM
Jman is an unknown quantity at this point

Annekat9

you don't need the compressor or the freon for the heat, just the cold air. But you do need a good amount of rad fluid for the heat.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:53 AM
Beginning Member

I need it for the defrost, right?

Old 05-22-2006, 02:02 AM
Whittaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Not really. Not if your AC is crapped out.

It's really kind of stupid, but what happened is that years ago they found that the seals in the AC systems were drying out, cracking, and then leaking because people only used the AC about half the year. So, they wired the system so that the AC is engaged when you use the max defrost. It lubes the seals and they don't dry out during the colder weather when you're not using the AC.

To me, it's a waste of gas. They should have just put a 5 minute timer circuit on the system so that every time you started up it would engage the AC, and let it go at that.