General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

add fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Beginning Member
bat119 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default add fog lights

how much trouble would it be to add factory fog lights to my 99 blazer 4X4? In addition to the signal lights with the lenses, bulb sockets and the switch on the dash what else would I need ? do you think the wires would be in place or would I have to wire it all in[]

Old 07-26-2006, 04:12 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: add fog lights

I looked into doing that with my '00 once. It was going to cost way too much money compared to aftermarket fogs lights. Teh facotry fogs are only 35watts. While most aftermarket (street legals) are 50 watts and considerable less expensive to install. Off road fogs are watts and still cheaper thent eh factorys.

just wasn't worth the money to me.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

wow and i was thinking of doing this but maybe instead i'll get aftermarket!!

Old 07-26-2006, 05:49 PM
Beginning Member
bat119 is an unknown quantity at this point

That sounds like good advice and it would cost about $150, the only problem is where would you mount them? the front of the blazer doesn't have many places to put them

Old 07-27-2006, 01:21 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I stuffed the aftermarket fogs in the grill on my '87. There the ones at the top corners.

In the '00 It should be easier to put them in the grill, bigger openings. Or you could put them next to the tow hooks in under the bumper.

Old 07-27-2006, 05:49 AM
magtec is an unknown quantity at this point

on my '97 i was thinking of replacing the stock blinkers in the bumper with fog/driving combo lights (fogs wired as blinkers).

http://magtec.rvglug.org/misc/blazer/97/old/front.jpg

the problem with having them on the grill like that is that is that they can be practically blinding to oncoming traffic at night.

Old 07-27-2006, 05:14 PM
Whittaker is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a great idea. I've been thinking about where to place the driving lights I want to add. Have you located a set that will fit ?

Old 07-27-2006, 11:37 PM
BF Veteran

Ummmm. The purpose of fog lights is to have them on during inclimate weather. The amber color of the light cuts through the fog, snow, and rain better then regular lights bulbs.

The off-road lights attached to the bumper don't come on unless I am off-roading.

One more thing. Fog lights are not driving lights.

Old 07-28-2006, 02:21 AM
Whittaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, fog lights come in both amber and white. I thought I had read that the only purpose of the amber was so that oncoming traffic could more easily see your vehicle.

Anyway, I assumed magtec was referring to replacing the bulbs in the blinkers in the bumper with some kind of dual-filament bulbs (like a halogen H4) and wiring the low-wattage filaments as blinkers and the high-wattage filaments as driving lights.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:12 AM
BF Veteran

ORIGINAL: Whittaker

Actually, fog lights come in both amber and white. I thought I had read that the only purpose of the amber was so that oncoming traffic could more easily see your vehicle.

Anyway, I assumed magtec was referring to replacing the bulbs in the blinkers in the bumper with some kind of dual-filament bulbs (like a halogen H4) and wiring the low-wattage filaments as blinkers and the high-wattage filaments as driving lights.

If you can see oncoming traffic better when they have amber lights, might it be due to the fact that the amber light is cutting through the fog, snow, rain better then a white light? Ever turn on your bright lights in a heavy fog or heavy snow? All you get is a wall of white light and can't see crap. Look at the color of bulbs at all major intersections? Look at them again when its foggy or snowing out. The amber color doesn't reflect off the water vabor like a white light will. Driving lights are white, fog lights are amber. They may come in both, but only one is going to be effective.

Never though of useing a dual purpose bulb. Let us know if thats your plan and how it turns out.

Quick Reply: add fog lights