General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

BAD VIBRATIONS!!!!!PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 08:08 PM
sonicdrft is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BAD VIBRATIONS!!!!!PLEASE HELP

Im having really bad vibrations in the front of my blazer...Now i have had it looked at alot and no one can help me...I got new tires all around....Rebalanced....Ball Joints....Torsion Bar Mounst.....And had various checks done on it and no one can help me...It starts shaking uncontrolibly..And nothing i do will make it stop...It starts about 50 and keeps up all the way past 80...Im lost and need help...I bought it used from a guy for 1500 and he said it had been wrecked but fixed the right way...The vehicle is a 1993 S10 Blazer 4door 4.3 Vortec Automatic...4x4...Please help...I was thinkin maybe a whole front end rebuild...As in control arms all bushings and joints....But i have trouble finding someone with all the pieces in a kit...But if someone can tell one specific spot to fix this problem would save me greatly and be more than greatly appreciated....Thanx Alll.....

Old 03-15-2006, 08:39 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: BAD VIBRATIONS!!!!!PLEASE HELP

does it vibrate when at idle?
how's the alignment?
tires the same size?

Old 03-15-2006, 09:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I had a vibration between 65 and 75mph. It was traced down to bad bearings inside the front axle. The dealership was responsible for it still so they did a complete rebuild on the front axle (not suspension, but the axle itself). My vibrations weren't violent however... Just cyclic increaseing/decreasing intensity that was annoying.

Next place I'd look if everything suspension wise has been checked out would be the front axle. Also, if you haven't already, find a shop that does a road force balance on the tires. This simulates the weight of the vehicle and dynamically balances the tire that way. It is a much more true balance.

Old 03-15-2006, 10:09 PM

the vehicle idles great...the alignment has been checked...and i even bought 4 brand new tires and even had taken them back to be double checked...i just fidured that maybe all the bushings were just severely worn...im not sure....what would be the next step after having the road force checked...?does anyone know where i could get a complete front end rebuild kit?that is if i needed to...alls i know is that i drive atleast 45 min for work one way on the high way...and sometimes more....but yeah thanx for the help keep it coming please.....

Old 03-15-2006, 11:04 PM
tom1337 is an unknown quantity at this point

So far every thing that you have had done would have been my first choice. However (this is along shot) I had this happen to a customers vehicle, the vehicle drove fine up to around 50 mph when they began to shake violently. After a few weeks we found that the drive shaft was out of balance. This would make since if the veh. was in a wreck and the front end was repaired. One thing to remember is that this would only occur, I believe, if you are in 4wd.

I know its pretty far out there but it would be worth investigating. A new shaft will be alot cheaper than a front end.

Old 03-15-2006, 11:16 PM

Good idea. Remove the front drive shaft and drive it. See how it feels.

Old 03-16-2006, 10:56 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Check your idler arm.
Get your tires Road Force Balanced, you could have a defective tire. Road Force Balancing is the only way to find a defective tire.

Old 03-16-2006, 02:05 PM

is there a chance that two sets of tires are bad in a row....i never thought of the axles or driveshaft..i never checked for the problem in 4wd does that count for anything? how would i go about taking them out...will it hurt anything?...how would i check for a bad idler arm..?and what happens if it still doesnt stop..? thanx guys

Old 03-16-2006, 02:47 PM

Front shaft removal. Remove U joint straps in the yoke connected to the front axle. YOu will have to convince the other end with a pry bar. It is on splines and will slide out. Before you reassemble everything later, be sure the splines are wiped clean.

Idler, jack the front tires off the ground. have someone wiggle the pass side tire and you observe from underneath the idler movement. You can even feel the sloppy play if any.

Old 03-16-2006, 03:08 PM

wow thax for that..what about the front axles...should i remove them....and how do i remove them..?

Quick Reply: BAD VIBRATIONS!!!!!PLEASE HELP