General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dex Convert?????

Old 07-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Starting Member
Aquahallic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dex Convert?????

Ok... havin' read all this stuff about Dexcool I went and looked in the Rad. of this thing (couldn't remember what was in it and it was full when I bought it and still is) and looks like someone did a green convert on this one. Still looks kinda nasty in there like they weren't real thorough... now looks like there's still a nasty *** brown film in the rad and prolly everywhere else. My question is... should I just live with it and maybe just do a FULL flush with a waterhose on EVERYTHING and change the thermostat. OR Should I get something and run it through it then flush it well with water.... I've just never been a fan of the "Rad Cleaners" from what I gather on them it's prolly somekind of solvent and I just can't see it bein' real good puttin' something like that in a system that's full of nooks and cranny's and gaskets that might decide to breakdown.....:/

Maybe it'd be ok to disconnect the hoses from the rad and cap off the bottom and fill only it with something that'd "Flush" it out????

FYI it never heats up stays around 180 190...
hmmm.... long as that mess hasn't screwed my temp sender....:/

ALL comments welcomed... "PLEASE"

Old 07-29-2006, 11:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Dex Convert?????

I do not believe that your '95 was a factory Dexcool equiped vehicle...

I just downloaded the owners manual for a '95 and it made no mention of dexcool anyway...

Old 07-30-2006, 12:04 AM
cherryred4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

1995 model year was the first for Dexcool, mine came with it. Although, it may be an early 95, I have a later 95, many changes were made during the model year.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:50 AM
1996BZR is an unknown quantity at this point

My blazer has always had green antifreeze in it since I bought it. What exactly are the pros and cons of the dex-cool? what about the green kind?

Never mind about the question about the pros and cons...I found another thread about all that.

Old 07-30-2006, 05:51 PM
tom1337 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you have either air contamination or coolant cross contamination.

In short, without going into the dexcool debate, you can switch to the "green coolant". I do not know if the standard flush kit that you can buy at the parts store will work or how many times you have to flush it. However, I use a power flush and flush it three times to make sure that there is not any dexcool hiding, for example in the heater core.