General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ECM NOISE

Old 07-29-2006, 04:47 PM
TomSB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ECM NOISE

Hello all, I'm new to this board . The ecm Is behind the passenger side kick pannel correct ?OK, mine is making an erratic clicking noise
sounds like relays opening and closing ..does that for awhile then quiet for a while. Is the ECM going bad or is somthing else causing the ecm to click cilck click If it does need replacing would a used one suffice ? any help would be appreciated TIA Tom 1999 blazer

Old 07-29-2006, 05:39 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: ECM NOISE

First of all Tom WELCOME, I'm pretty new here too. Now, your truck does not have any modules referred to as an ecm. You have a PCM (powertrain control module) BCM (body control module) ebcm (electronic brake control module) etc... and if your truck is a t-blazer (4x4) with electronically shifted transfer case it has a TCCM (transfer case shift control module) which is located behind the right front kick panel. You need to remove that kick panel and verify that the noise is coming from the module because right above it behind the glove box there is a hazard/turn signal flasher that we have had a lot of clicking from (actually caused by a shorting out turn signal/hazard switch). If it is coming from the tccm remove it and disconnect the big electrical connector from it (I think it's a 24 pin orange colored connector) and check to see if there is water intrusion to your wire terminals (they will be corroded and green if there is) If there is water intrusion it is usually caused by a leak at the base or top corner of the windshield and the module will probably need to be replaced as well as the connector if the terminals can't be sufficiently cleaned. Let me know what you find.

Old 07-29-2006, 08:59 PM
TomSB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: ECM NOISE

Thank you! thats exelent information Ill get back to you with my results Thanks , Tom