General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

engine code

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 03:48 PM
nails5240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default engine code

So my idiot light came on and I went to Advance to find out the code. This is what came out on the print-out and the they didnt really do a good job explaining what it meant.

PO440
EVAP Emission
Control System
Malfunction

Anyone know what this means and what to do about it?

Old 10-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: engine code

Most likely a faulty gas cap, but first try tightening it. I always tighten until I hear atleast 3 clicks.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:38 PM

I knew that answer was too good to be true. I tried tightening it more than usual and it didnt do the trick.

Any more suggestions?

Old 10-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Please be aware that you must complete a 'drive cycle' before the code may go away. I would continue to drive it for the next couple of days before replacing the gas cap.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Starting Member
Brian J. Lesko is an unknown quantity at this point

P0440 OBD-II Trouble Code
Technical DescriptionEvaporative Emission Control System Malfunction

What does that mean?This indicates that a part of the EVAP control system is no longer fuctioning correctly. The EVAP system consists of many parts, including (but not limited to) the gas cap, fuel lines, carbon canister, purge valve, and other hoses. The (EVAP) emission control system prevents the escape of fuel vapors from a vehicle's fuel system. Fuel vapors are routed by hoses to a charcoal canister for storage. Later, when the engine is running a purge control valve opens allowing intake vacuum to siphon the fuel vapors into the engine.

SymptomsYou likely won't notice any drivability problems.

CausesA code P0440 could mean one or more of the following has happened:

The gas cap is not installed or working properly
The purge solenoid has failed
The canister is plugged and not working properly
Possible SolutionsWith a P0440 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try:

Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the code, and drive for a day and see if the codes come back.
Inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses
Inspect for damaged or disconnected hoses around the Evap purge solenoid
Check and/or replace the sensor
Check and/or replace the purge valve
Have a professional use a smoke machine to detect leaks

I found this. It's a place to start. Hope you get that fixed. I had this same code a couple years ago. It ended up being a bad evap purge solenoid. The place that I took it to only charged me around $50 to get it fixed. Not too bad I guess.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:10 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Good write up. ^^^^^

Old 10-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Starting Member
Brian J. Lesko is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't take full credit. I copied and pasted parts of it. It is informative though. I too am one of those people that have beaten my head off the wall more than once trying to figure out why my check engine light was on. Anything that I can do to help someone else avoid that, I'll gladly do for them. Check out obd-codes.com for a full listing of trouble code causes and possible fixes. That's where I got most of that info.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:38 AM

Thanks for the info.

Hopefully I can take care of it, its inspection month.