General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel pump out, i think.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 05:31 PM
biggee247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel pump out, i think.

So i think my fuel pump is out once again, i havent been noticing any ******* down or ne thing like that. But one day my car didnt start, and i noticed that i didnt hear the fuel pump, so i went ahead and beat the gas tank and i heard it start whining and it fired up. Now last night im at work, she doesnt start, no whining of the fuel pump, i beat the living hell out of the gas tank, and nothing. So, i figure it's completely out. Doesnt it sound like it out to you guys? Also, if so what could be making it go out, i understand that it was a used fuel pump, but man w/in 4-5 months, just seems a little sudden. If anyone can assist me, please do. If not it's alright, i figure it went out just because it was a used one.

Also, my car sometimes like the time on the radio will be dim, so ill raise the lights on the inside, because sometimes it's low, and it's still dim and then it'll click over bright again, what could be causing this? The cable's off of the battery are fine. so im just not sure as well. Thanks.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Fuel pump out, i think.

Problem is that when you buy things like that used, you never know how used it really is... it could have been used for like two years and then you put it in your tank and boom, a few months and its dead.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:24 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Did you change the fuel filter when you changed your pump?
I wouldn't use a used fuel pump, only new. I always replace the fuel filter at the same time as the pump.

Don't know about your dash lights

Old 07-20-2006, 01:07 AM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

What my girlfriends dad told me(hes a mechanic) is that on hot summer days if your gas tank is low the fuel gets really hot and can burn out your fuel pump...so he doesn't let his tank go below half because its happened to him twice.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:29 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I've never heard of gas getting so hot that it would burn out a fuel pump. If that's the case I'm putting my tank in a trailer about 200 feet behind my truck (BOOM).
I do know that if you run the fuel pump with the tank dry ( no lubrication in the pump) that the fuel pump vanes will wear fast enough to cause fuel pump failure within minutes (or less time)

Your radio light problem might be caused by your automatic headlight control module.
The module is supposed to control brightening and dimming of the dash lights when you change light conditios, like when you go thru a tunnel or from sun to shade.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:59 PM

Oh okay, well that's cool...about the light's thing chevy lover. Now i just thought it was weird that if it was going out, that it didnt surge or anything. But it just wont start, it wont wine or ne thing at all...so i kinow it's fuel pump, i mean like i said, i beat the tank once and it started up, and hasnt since. Now real qwick, im gonna buy a ac delco brand new fuel pump off of ebay, only 110 that's 300 cheaper then if i buy it from autozone in my town. Is that okay you think?

Old 07-20-2006, 10:50 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

It sure would be nice to know a little something about your "truck". I could assume it is an S10-Blazer, and I could assume that it is a new body style becuase of the fuel pump price, but that is exactly what that would be, assumptions.

There should be a tag with an alpha0numeric code on top of the fuel pump, if oyu have a newer body style truck. You need to get a fuel pump with the same code on it. I don't buy anything off e-bay so I cannot offer any wisdom there. Hard for me to tell if that is a good price without knowing at least th year of the truck. My '87 fuel pump costs $50. My '00 cost $280.

Like posted above. Fuel is the lubrication and the way the fuel pump stays cool. If oyu constantly drive on less then a 1/4 tank of gas, you will end your fuel pumps life prematurely.

As for your radio lights being dim, check the ground wire on the radio. Typically when vehicle lights go dim, its a ground problem. If you weren't getting power to the lights, the lights wouldn't be on at all. One the flip side, if your ground is flaky, corroded your lights will be dim. This goes for headlights too.

Old 07-21-2006, 05:34 AM
BF Veteran

I don't know anything about e-bay either.
I believe there is a post on the opening page of this site about e-bay, I just haven't looked at it.
If you go to OFF TOPIC you will find a thread about e-bay

most important thing I can recommend is that you replace the fuel filter at the same time.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:46 PM

My blazer is a 99 Blazer 2dr 4x4 i got pictures of it in our photo gallery. Yeah i figure i would change the Fuel Filter also, but i just changed it like three months ago, but i figure it prolly wouldnt hurt to do so. So we shall see. I can do the fuel pump thing myself.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:28 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: biggee247

I can do the fuel pump thing myself.
I that a question?

If so, the answer is yes.
If you do plan on doing it yourself, post up and we can give you some tips.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump out, i think.