General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel Pump Replacement Cost

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 10:32 AM
tomsblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel Pump Replacement Cost

I am growing concerned about the buzzing my fuel pump is making. I can hear it running at least 5 foot from the vehicle when it has a full tank. Is this a sign that the pump is going out? I would like to have it replaced before complete failure.

I do not have a place to do the work, so It will get sent to a local shop.

How much should I expect to pay for a new pump replacement?

Old 02-10-2006, 01:55 PM
DaveLance is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Fuel Pump Replacement Cost

The buzzing is common. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have trouble starting the engine or it surges while you are driving.

I ended up paying around $600 to have mine replaced about a year ago.

Old 02-10-2006, 04:14 PM
tomsblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, i'll try to ignore the Bumble Bees in the gas tank.

Old 02-12-2006, 06:49 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

I had mine towed (free w/ AAA.)
little did I know I could of done it myself.
Had a shop do it to my first Blazer and paid $900.00 I wanted to puke.

Old 02-12-2006, 03:19 PM
redman is an unknown quantity at this point

I justed replaced the gas tank. fuel pump and sending unit on my wife's 88 balzer s10. If you have a jack and some tools its preaty easy to do, between the tank, pump and sending unit it cost about $250 for parts. and about 2 hours to do. the biggest PIA is the lines. Be careful of the metal lines and don't bend or you will be relpaceing them also. Spray the tank brackets bolts with PB Blaster first.

Old 02-12-2006, 03:22 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

I had no idea my work was worth that much. My son owes me about 65 for the pump and what? 500 labor?

Some of those pumps are much more expensive, but he was lucky on his old one.

I'd look up the part price on the web and shop around just to be ready. Have you checked the tank to make sure all is well under there and not a dent or somthing that would help cause a noise??

My sons never was right about the gauge reading till now. He had a foot long piece of oak riding in the tank and it was wider than what would have fit in the filler neck. Had to go in the top hole. So someone placed it there when they last worked on it. (or just not looking) His filter was damaged before pump went out. I bet the wood caused the filter hole. Never know what you'll find.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:52 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Older S10-Blazers pumps run about $50. Newer pumps are part of an assemble and cost around $260-$350 depending on where you go, and depending on which version you need. There is a tag on top of the unit with an alpha-numberic code on it. You need that code in order to get the correct assemble. Before you start the project call around and see who has each version in staock and how much they want for it. Longer hte warrenty the better. If the autoparts store doesn't ask about the alpha-numberic code, find another place, cause they will give you the wrong one.

The buzzing sound is a warning. Take heed and save the cash now.

Dropping the gas tank on the newer trucks is easy and can be done in your driveway with minimal tools. There are 6 hoses, 3 are quick connects, 2 are screw clamps, and 1 is a spring clamp. The spring clamp and screw clamps hoses are rubber, spray them with WD-40. The WD-40 will soften the rubber so you can remove the hoses. The 3 quick connect hoses are attached to the fuel pump assemble, the screw clamp hoses are atttached to your gas tank filler, and the single spring clamp hose is up front on the gas tank. I think the screw type clamps use a 5/16" socket, and a flat tipped screwdriver will work, but the socket is faster. For the spring clamp I use needle nose pliers. You have to tilt the gas tank to get to the hoses.

There is only one bolt and one nut holding the gas tank in place on the newer trucks. 15mm deep socket I believe. Deep socket for sure, and I think it is 15mm. Once you remove the bolt and nut the straps will hold the tank while you tip it to disconnect the hoses. To remove the clamps, lift the tank and strap, then pull the strap out of the frame. One side of the strap is hooked into the frame.

Gas weighs roughly 8 pounds per gallon, 18 gallons of gas weighs 144 pounds. This is a project you want to do with very little gas in the tank. Plan accordingly. 9 times out of 10 if you wait for the pump to fail before you replace it, you will have a full tank of gas. Not many can deal with that much weight or gas safely.

Once you get the tank out, be carefull with it. Gas fumes are the most dangerous part, and since there is no gas the tank is full of fumes.

There is a metal ring on top of the tank that needs to be spun to remove the fuel pump assemble. Clean off all the dirt first. I use a hammer and old screw drive to spin the ring. Might be some plastic tabs locking the ring in place, slide them out of the way. If your worried about a spark, put a rag between the screwdriver and ring.

It took me 2 1/2 hours to replace my fuel pump assemble on my '00. That included 45 minutes getting the right part.