General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

NE1 install a ratchet shifter on the floor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 08:10 PM
myS108a4RE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NE1 install a ratchet shifter on the floor?

i really hate the column shifter on my blazer. id like to get a B&M megashifter & install it on the floor. i like the idea of being able to ratchet through the gears as well as just controling the tranny from the floor as opposed to the column....so who did it & whats involved. i know a hole will need drilled to route a new cable as well as some holes for mounting the shifter, just curious to hear any pro & cons, how you like, why you hate it, suggestions, tips, etc......also, if nayone has done it & can supply some pics of thier shifter installed id like to see them.....
thanx,
-justin

Old 02-27-2006, 08:16 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: NE1 install a ratchet shifter on the floor?

Well, for a suggestion, you could just purchase a Blazer with a floor shifter.

Old 02-27-2006, 08:22 PM

hehe, smarta$$

looks like youve been arounds the forums a bit. ever run across any posts where somone had installed a ratchet shifter? i have a 383/ported modellos/288 cam/full exhaust/4:10's with a built TH350 trans. a ratchet style shifter would help alot....
thanx,
-justin

Old 02-27-2006, 08:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Justin,
The pros/cons are entirely up to you and how the shifter gets installed. If you currently shift by way of a shift linkage (not a cable), then you'd have to get a kit that would include a mount for the trans side of the cable. The install itself shouldn't be all that bad. You may have to build a pedestal mount to put the shifter up where you are comfortable with it. You will also have to grommet the hole through the trans tunnel where the cable goes through.

It would help to know what year we are dealing with.

My '00 Bravada comes factory with a floor shifter. I believe that all '96-current Blazers/Jimmys/Bravadas were shifted via a cable making it easier to change over to a floor shifter, not to mention the fact that some came from the factory with floor shifters so you could simply replace your center console with a factory floor shift model and be on your way.

I'm sure that there are plenty of cable mounting kits for the TH350. Heck, my Chevelle has both a column linkage (but no lever) and a floor shifter with cable to the trans. I had my cable pop off once and was able to shift the trans by grabbing ahold of the collar on the steering column and turning it, LOL.

Old 02-27-2006, 08:41 PM

thanx swartlkk,
sorry i have an 89 blazer, yeah im an older boxy style kinda guy.....the megashifter im wanting to purchase is designed for a truck so it has the tall pedestal mount. i believe the model im looking at comes with all the requiered hardware for my make/model. i do appreciate the your input......
-justin

Old 02-27-2006, 08:52 PM

I agree w/ Kyle. You'll probably have to go to a stealership to get the proper brackets and or linkage. Is there anything on the trany hump you have to remove? I have this rediculously large factory tape deck and small poscket for change or whatever sitting on the floor.

This megashifter you want, does it hae a 2 foot mast and grenade for a handle? <---thats what is in my mind. Just wondering what it looks like. Good luck with your decision mys108a4RE, My-s10-eighty-four

Old 02-27-2006, 10:53 PM

ill do some more checking around to see exactly what it is i need for the correct install.....
the shifter is really sharp looking. it doesnt have a tall mast like a manual would have. the shifter itself looks just like some of the models found in low console cars. the pedestal id what raises the entire shifter up off the floor keeping the look really clean & sporty.
heres a link the pic of the shifter:

http://static.summitracing.com/globa.../bmm-80690.jpg

yeah theres my center console wich has a large centered storage compartment & then slopes down to the floor & has a small open pocket where you can throw change or whatever. i would either have to modify that console or remove it alltogether, wich im fine with needing to do either or......

just to satisfy anyones curiousity, the name myS108a4re = my s10 ate a ferrari

-justin

Old 02-27-2006, 10:58 PM

just to satisfy anyones curiousity, the name myS108a4re = my s10 ate a ferrari
Ha, I like it!

I seen the link you posted. Cool! Dont forget to install a shift improver in the transmission. makes driving even more pleasureable.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:07 PM

hehe, thanx

yeah, i already have a heavy duty shift kit & 3200 stall converter. it runs really strong, really fun truck! it started off as my "daily driver" work truck & turned into another one of my high performance toys, lol. i also have a highly moddified 92 300zx twinturbo & a 93 supercharged mustang gt. i cant help but start moddifying cars. everytime i try to pick up a family car /work car/daily river i start going nuts on it. im surprised my wife hasnt kicked me out yet....hehe!

-justin

Old 02-27-2006, 11:19 PM

Justin + his B&M=[sm=gears.gif]

Quick Reply: NE1 install a ratchet shifter on the floor?