General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

hello all new here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 03:35 PM
kicker13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hello all new here.

just wanted to say hi first off.

ok now to the point of this post. right now i am driving a 97 dodge intrepid. this car started off good but has taken a plunge down hill quickly. i have been looking around at a few cars and suv`s lately. i have always liked the looks of the blazers and chevy isnt that bad of a car company.

my questions are how dependable are the say 93 to 99 blazers,
do they pose alot of problems?
if i buy one am i looking at another huge money sink?
is there any certain engines i should stay clear of or look for?
any help on anything to do with them would be a great help.

with my intrepid i paid 1800 for it and with in 2 months had over 2200 more into repairs. i had no idea what i was getting into then and didnt research like i should of. this is why i have come to you good people to get real life stories of these suvs

once again thank you for taking the time to read this.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:12 PM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: hello all new here.

1st hi
2nd look for a 96+ Vortec 4.3 they are the best for gas milage. Blazers main issues are ball joints like to go bad. But they are a cheap and easy fix.

Old 04-19-2006, 05:57 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the site. If you do choose a Chevy S-series I hope you return.

Are they durable, only if they are maintianed. I have a '93 S10-Blazer that threw a engine bearing with 190,000 miles on it. I have a '00 S10-Blazer with 114,000 miles on it. My Astro van had 286,000 miles on the 4.3L engine before I totaled the truck.

I highly recommend the 4.3L V6 engine. If you get those years and a S10-Blazer there is no other engine choice. They all have the 4.3L V6. The 4.3L V6 is the infamous Chevy 350 engine with 2 piston missing. Literally!!!! The 5.7L V8 (350) and the 4.3L V6 use the same pistons, rods, bearings, piston rings, etc. The obvious difference is anything related to teh number of pistons. Like crank, and cam shaft to name a few. The 4.3L is so much like the 5.7L that you can even swap trannies, water pumps, alternators, etc. The 4.3L is an extremely strong engine, so much so that they are common swaps into other light weight racing trucks, off-road trucks, competition buggies, etc...

As for the rest of the truck, its a truck and will survive an amazing amount of abuse. However as with everything, how well it is maintianed will determine how long it lasts.

There are a ton of other benefits I see to the S10-Blazer, specific to off-roading, and I won't go into them here. Couple of things to consider when looking at other SUVs. The 4.3L V6 engine is rated at 190-200hp, and 235-250 pounds of torque. Later years had higher numbers. Try and find another SUV with those numbers and a V6.

By the way. I bought my '00 and loved it so much I bought 3 more S10-Blazers. The wife made me sell one of them, so now I only have 3. One is my DD, one is my sons DD and our off-road rig, and the '93 is being rebuilt for my sons DD. Once that is done the '87 will become a trialer queen. [8D] You could say I like them.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:16 AM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

once you go blazer...you never go back....you just get bigger tires...

Old 04-20-2006, 04:17 AM
kicker13 is an unknown quantity at this point

well i do thank you all for your comments and will be test driving some here shortly if everything goes as planned. i was just worried about buying one after reading some comments on a reveiw site about all years of the blazers. i do however think they are one of the best looking suvs out there and have wanted one for a few years now. i was also looking at the dodge durangos but those seem to be a bit pricey for repairs and gas hogs.

im glad to hear that these can run well over 100k miles and still be strong. i have always been a dodge fan with chevy as a close second, never did have a thing for fords. i will be trying to pop in and out of here as much as possible even if i dont buy one i would still like to keep up to date with them. thank you all for being so kind in your replies and being helpful.

Old 04-20-2006, 05:06 AM
Benson8880 is an unknown quantity at this point

Over 100,000 miles and still be strong? I just got rid of a 91' with 223,836. The engine and drive line where as strong as ever, it was just all the little stuff was adding up. Everything from the ball joints and A-arms to the window motor and the door locks. I baught mine in 2000 for $1500. Last month I finally parted with it and only spent about $3,000 while I owned it. $1000 for the A/c work was the most. the rest was stuff like radiator, shocks, heater core.... you get the idea. It was the stuff that is just bound to go on any vehicle.

Like Paddle Grl said, once you buy a blazer your hooked. I did just replace mine with an '04 [8D]

Old 04-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I take reviews with a grain of salt, because no matter what vehicle you are looking at reviews for, there is always a downside to every vehicle.

Yes, teh ball joints are a "weak spot", but properly maintaining that kind of stuff will prolong their life. I get mine greased every few months.

I was a Ford/Volvo lover and NEVER wanted a GM vehicle. Now that I have owned my Blazer, I have been convinced of the Vortec power and reliability. I have had my Blazer for over a year now and I have had only minor repairs that are basically things for proper maintenance. The body is rusting away, but the engine is solid and has never let me down.

The only major repair I need to do still is replace the engine manifolds, which is pricey, but worth it to me. If that's the only major repair I ever have to do on this truck, I am pretty sure the body will rust off before the engine ever calls it quits. The gas mileage is not that great, but you have to keep in mind that it's a truck, so you shouldn't expect the kind of mileage you'd get driving a Civic or something.

Old 04-22-2006, 02:46 AM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road

I started with a 97 2wd, sold it, bought an 87 4wd, sold it and now bought the 97 back. Yahh 160k+ miles. I drive the **** out of it and so did the guy who owned it before me(the 1st time). They are awsome trucks.
LONG LIVE THE BLAZER

Old 05-05-2006, 12:45 AM
mandi is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive found the best place to look at is National Highway Transpertaion Saftey Association. There are all kinds of Complaints noone will tell you about that are on this page. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...callsearch.cfm If you look at the site when it askes you what area of the car you want to look at dont pick any just click proceed. The last report is the newest. Good luck on shopping for a new car/suv.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:53 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: Paddle_grl

once you go blazer...you never go back....you just get bigger tires...
Agreed! I love my Blazer and I have absolutely NO regrets about buying it.