General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

help please....denver? anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 11:38 PM
Chevychick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help please....denver? anyone??

ok, so im so frustrated about this i am ready to cry! i have a 97 s10 4 door blazer, and things were fine until summer came around. the driver's side window just up and quit working....i had to pull the door panel off and fiddle with it and see if it was a wiring issue, and then randomly it worked again. then it stopped. then it worked, then finally it stopped and leave it up in non-function mode and have red duct tape over the button so it cant be used. its not budging now, and the chevy dealer whispered to me that i may need a new window actuator. aside from the fact that that is a $120 part alone, besides the window problem, my wipers dont work very often anymore. sometimes when i turn the car on, they work, then others they dont, and its just really being quirky with me, which sucks because its hard to drive in the rain when you cant see. ive tried seeing if either issue is from the fuses, they all are fine. ive been curious about whether it is one of the relays, but im not sure because i know nothing about that. one time in the heat of the day when i started the car, the fan, stereo, nor wipers worked until i restarted the car. i dont know if one of the circuit breakers senses some overheating and cuts off power to the wipers or something, but omg, im so frustrated!! the window could be a wiring issue, or if theyre heat issues, or the both could be related. whatever the issue is, im a college student and i dont have the money to have a professional fix my beloved blazer for me. if there is anyone in the denver area that could help me or teach me more about this thing (cause i really do want to know how it all works!) and just wants help me for fun or something, i would be thrilled to anti-tears. if there is no denver person that can help me, someone please help me from afar!! it likes to rain nearly every day here in colorado during the summer, and come winter im screwed if this problem keeps up. thanks guys, youre about all the help ive got!

Old 06-17-2006, 12:15 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: help please....denver? anyone??

The window problem most likely is a problem with a ground or with the switch itself. You could try to put in a junkyard switch panel and see if that helps or remove the switch panel itself and see if you can disassemble (can't remember if you can on the blazers) the switches. I had to take apart the switch module in my parents '97 Caddy STS to fix a corroded contact. Cleaned everything up and put it back together and that was 3 years ago. Still working great. Their problem may be different than yours but if in their car you pushed down on the switch while toggling it, it would work sorta... Got to the point where you had to watch how hard you were pushing on it for fear of breaking things.

The wiper problem could be a cold solder problem on the circuit board in the wiper motor. This is not difficult at all, but does require that you resolder the connections. I posted a fix for this awhile back - Wiper Motor Fix.

Ofcourse, they all could be a bad ground somewhere in the system. I'll see if I can't dig up a ground schematic for your truck to give you an idea of where to look for them. I kind of don't think that these systems have a related ground, but it's worth a shot.

As far as fuses go... They blow for good, they won't fuse back together and I do not think that there are any circuit breakers in the vehicle. Nor are there relays for these components.

None of these fixes are beyond the average person so long as they are willing to learn how to do things and have the tools required. A basic tool kit should be a must for anyone that wants to learn. Let me know if you would like further information on some of these problems and are willing to dive in!

Old 06-17-2006, 12:29 AM

yes, PLEASE!!! anything will help. i can resolder myself if i know where to look and what to look for. like i said, im eager to learn, but i need to know where to start! i did try pulling apart the switch panel, but yeah, i couldnt seem to figure out how to get it open for fear of breaking it. the other window switches on there work fine, its just the driver's side that isnt working. i read in the manual about the circuit breakers and the overheating with the wipers. a diagram and some instructions would save me more stress and money than you can imagine!

Old 06-17-2006, 01:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry. It does seem that there are circuit breakers that are part of the window motors. There is also another breaker in the I/P fuse block (drivers side of the dash).

It seems that all of these systems use the same grounds, but the ground locations are part of the ground distribution which should link many of the grounds. G102 & G104 are the grounds that are common to these systems. G102 is located on the back of the passenger side head and G104 is located on the back of the drivers side head. They may be difficult to get to...

I'll continue to see what I can dig up.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:55 AM

cool. it just had to be complicated, didnt it??

Old 06-17-2006, 02:10 PM
Administrator

All depends on your definition of complicated.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:26 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

I have had 2 window motors replaced in my Blazer...both front. I bought the parts at NAPA for $50. I would not buy the part from the dealer...I'd find someone that will do the work if you bring the part to them or do it yourself. I would not recommend getting one from a junkyard if you plan on replacing the motor. Both times mine had the same symptoms as yours. I just replaced teh driver's side one yesterday and it was only 1/2 hr of labour.