General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help with wiering on 85 S10

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 01:52 AM
MsRandi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with wiering on 85 S10

I need help! I have a 1985 s10 not sold in the 48 states. So when I look at the book I'm missing a lot of stuff. Right now I cant make the chock work, I just put on a rebilt Carb.and the chock did not even try to close. I ajusted that but now, I have vacuoom to mane pull off whan the motor is still cold. can any one help?

Old 06-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Help with wiering on 85 S10

Ok so if I understand things correctly, you put on a rebuilt carb and now you are having trouble with the choke. I am assuming that it is an electronic choke from the title... So you have tried to adjust it and it won't close? Don't quite follow the last sentance.

I'm moving this over into the General Tech Help section so you have a better chance of getting your question answered. I'll also try to see if I have your vehicle in my references when I get home from work today to try to help you out.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:10 AM

OK it's a electrical thing, the choke opens as soon as the motor start, so it will not idel cold there should be power to close the vacum circuit to the choke pull off till the motor starts to warm up, the same vacum opens the snorkel to fresh air. BUT WERE is the switch?

Old 06-21-2006, 04:47 PM

Yes it is a blazer I got it about 2 mounths ago for $ 1,500.00 witch is very good for 4X4 here on the iland. it has the 2.8L V6 and runs OK worm. It is real clean inside and out. and I real like it.
SO ALL HELP APPRECIATED.

Old 06-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, here's what I came up with:
Choke Thermostat/Heater: Description and Operation
On most vehicles, an electric assist choke is incorporated onto the carburetor to aid in reducing the emissions of hydrocarbons (HC) and carbon
monoxide (CO) during starting and warm-up (choke-on) period. The electric assist choke is designed to give a more rapid choke opening at temperatures of approximately 60-65° F., or greater and a slower choke opening at temperatures of approximately 60-65° F., or below. The electric assist choke system does not change any carburetor service procedures and cannot be adjusted. If the system is out of calibration, the heater control switch and/or choke unit must be replaced.

The main components of the electric assist choke system, Fig. 39, consist of a thermostatic coil, ceramic resistor, cover, bi-metal snap disc and contact spring. The electric actuated ceramic resistor heats the thermostatic coil, gradually relaxing coil tension and allowing the choke valve to open. At air temperatures below 50° F., electric current applied to the small section of the ceramic resistor, allows slow opening of the choke valve for good engine warm-up. As the small section of the ceramic resistor continues to heat, a bi-metal disc causes the spring loaded contact to close and apply electric current to the large section of the ceramic resistor which increases the heat flow to the thermostatic coil for more rapid opening of the choke valve.

At air temperatures between 50-70° F., electric current applied to the small section, or both the small and large sections of the ceramic resistor, will produce the amount of heat required to control the choke valve position for good engine operation in these temperature ranges. At air temperatures above 70° F., electric current applied to the small section of the ceramic resistor and through the spring contact to the large section of the ceramic resistor, provides rapid heating of the thermostatic coil for quicker choke valve opening when leaner air-fuel mixtures are required at warmer temperatures.

Diagnosis & Testing
Possible conditions for the electric choke not operating properly are listed as follows (use a voltmeter to check oil pressure and choke coil circuits):
1. Low or no engine oil pressure.
2. Faulty oil pressure switch.
3. No current to oil pressure switch due to:
a. Burned out fuse.
b. Broken wire to oil pressure switch.
4. No current between choke and oil pressure switch due to:
a. Broken lead wire.
b. Wire terminal not properly secured on coil terminal.
c. Faulty ground circuit between choke assembly and housing grounding plate.
5. Faulty choke coil assembly.

If it is determined that the choke coil assembly is inoperative, the following test must be made:
1. Remove choke coil from carburetor. After removal of choke coil, allow coil to cool to room temperature.
2. Connect a ``jumper' wire between positive battery terminal and choke coil terminal assembly. Connect a second ``jumper' wire between negative battery terminal and choke coil assembly grounding plate.
3. The tang on the choke coil should rotate 45° in 54-90 seconds.
4. If choke coil does not rotate or exceeds the 54-90 second time limit, replace choke coil.
5. If coil is within specification, check steps 1 thru 5 for possible cause.
I'll see what else I can find, but you should see if you have a good ground at the choke and check the other things listed above.

Old 06-21-2006, 07:48 PM

the choke stove work OK, its the vucom choke pull off the comes on to soon.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2965/FF5CA739BD5E4A9C96990FE08BF733A5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-21-2006, 07:54 PM
Administrator

I can't find any reference to a vacuum choke pull off... Is this part of the carb or is it in the air cleaner? Can you snap a picture of exactly what it is you are referring to?

If there is a vacuum actuated pull off for the main choke, I would follow the vacuum line and see where it goes. It is possible that there is a vacuum solenoid somewhere along the way that has failed.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:21 PM

hope the pic's help

[IMG]local://upfiles/2965/57722D50AF744EDFA1B91FA947645A1E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2965/2D7C04E469F34513B3027E82F1D66EA0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2965/44E1288E7FF44488A4D2BC92B3643C99.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-21-2006, 08:51 PM

Yes and yes i dont any voltag to the selinod to close it.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Ok well... I wasn't able to find the information you require in my references, but a quick search online for the Rochester 2SE carb that your 2.8L is equiped with yeilded a pretty good run down on the adjustment of the various sub-systems.

Here ya go:
GM Carb Adjustments - Autozone.com
Rochester 2SE Adjustments - AARC.EPNet.com

Other than that, I'm running out of places to look for information.

Quick Reply: Help with wiering on 85 S10