General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hindsight is 20/15

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 07:30 PM
ken erestu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hindsight is 20/15

Hey guys,
Its me, newbie again. I have never owned a Blazer before but this one was such a great deal that I couldn't pass it up. It is a 1991 S10 Blazer with a 4.3ltr V6 engine and auto tranny with less thatn 60k original miles!!

I cleaned the TBI with Seafoam and installed new Bosch Platinum plugs. However, I neglected to change the wires, cap and rotor. It still does not have the 'throw you into the seatback' power and smooth acceleration that my previous truck has. (99 Dakota w/3.9ltr, auto trans)

Any suggestion on which wire set, cap and rotor to go with.

Thanks.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Hindsight is 20/15

I have never been let down with the Belden Premium wireset from Napa. Also, I prefer Napa ignition components as in my experience they have better quality than most. Also, the higher priced Napa Echelon (sp?) caps normally have brass pins in the cap which will resist fouling longer than the cheaper caps. For the extra $10, it's a good choice.

Also, I'm glad to see that you went with platinum plugs, but Bosch has a bad name in the plug business. Mostly due to their gimic plugs, the +2 & +4. If you start to have some hesitation problems later on down the road, pull a few plugs and have a look at them. If for nothing but to check the gap and eliminate them as being the problem.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:01 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Corevette servo.
Cold air intake.
Performance exhaust system.
That ought to wake her up.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:27 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

I have never been let down with the Belden Premium wireset from Napa. Also, I prefer Napa ignition components as in my experience they have better quality than most. Also, the higher priced Napa Echelon (sp?) caps normally have brass pins in the cap which will resist fouling longer than the cheaper caps.
Ditto. I use strictly NAPA parts for my tune-ups, and anything else I need. The only thing I don't use from them is my oil filter that I get at Canadian tire.

Old 09-23-2006, 02:11 PM
blazinDJ420 is an unknown quantity at this point

Corvette servo??!
DJ

Old 09-23-2006, 11:45 PM
ken erestu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Hindsight is 20/15---UPDATE!!!!!

Well who woulda thunk?!!! I changed the wires using the Belden's as suggested by swartlkk. Also changed the distributor cap, rotor and pcv valve.

I have already noticed a difference in the driveability and she purrs like a tiger. Can't wait to take her out for a long drive to "flush out" the old.

Tomorrow an oil change and next week, change the differential fluids. Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch guys.

By the way, here is a picture!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/3788/0BA656110CF24D4EB0A85768C7B04D8F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3788/0CB4231BFD4E4BBE91DEA89E1BC6DD23.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Hindsight is 20/15---UPDATE!!!!!

Awww. She looks just like mine. Glad to see that things are running smoothly again.