General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hood and grill help

Old 10-27-2006, 03:49 PM
SaigaShooter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hood and grill help

Ok, I want to repaint the X pattern plastic in my grill, but I need to know how to get the grill off without destroying it, first however I need to get the hood open.

The damn thing wopnt pop up when I pull the release, I can get it open if someone pulls the release, and I push down on the center front of the hood. What needs to be fixed for this to be the usual one man job?

Old 10-27-2006, 05:12 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Hood and grill help

ORIGINAL: SaigaShooter

Ok, I want to repaint the X pattern plastic in my grill, but I need to know how to get the grill off without destroying it, first however I need to get the hood open.

The damn thing wopnt pop up when I pull the release, I can get it open if someone pulls the release, and I push down on the center front of the hood. What needs to be fixed for this to be the usual one man job?
Take a look at the pic i posted and you will see a small spring like part all mangled at the end of the cable, this is what is not letting your hood open in "1" man fashion. I have the same problem as you but I live with it since trying to replace the cable will be a real pain. But it will work sometimes and like today it did not open immediately but when i shut the door that triggered the hood to pup up or i will have to slap(pop) the hood and then it will pop up so it is more of an inconvenience for now. Eventually I may mod the thing a put a pull handle in the grille for a secondary release.

Now for the grille removal, all you need to do is to remove the two headlights and then pull the grille out. It is only mounted with spring clips, no screws of any sort...you will have to unplug the turn signals from the back before you can get the grille away from the truck.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1127/78B6F2C634BC4DEBBCB2F5FD4ABBBE8E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-27-2006, 07:23 PM
SaigaShooter is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the help, I actually managed to get the grill out without removing the headlights. As for the hood, that spring looks quite familliar. Guess I'll stick with the "Fonz" technique for the time being..

Old 11-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Beginning Member
UrbanOffRoader is an unknown quantity at this point

Like everyone else... I too have the hood release issue, and got tired of doing the fonz thing.
Here are the two things I did to make it work.

1. Adjusted the little hood bumper thingamajiblits (I have no idea what the technical name is, but they're in the front and turn up and down to adjust the hood) and put alot of tension on the hood... this made it pop open with no problem, but caused a gap between my hood and body panels.

2. I wrapped the last bit of the release cable with an old guitar string and soldered it like crazy.

Both work, but #2 is prettier.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:00 AM
kornphlake is an unknown quantity at this point

I fixed my sticky hood release by lubing the latch mechanism a little bit. I just used some trans fluid because that's what I had in my hand at the time. It seemed like the spring that pulls back the secondary latch wasn't able to overcome the friction.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:01 PM
yeags is an unknown quantity at this point

For what it's worth... I have a 98 S10 Blazer, and I also had a problem with the hood not popping with the inside cable (among other things). As I pulled the lever, I could hear the latch trying to work, but the hood wouldn't release, and the lever wouldn't return without pushing back down on the hood. My fix was pretty simple, and it took less than 30 minutes.

First, I went to Home Depot and bought a spring similar to the one that is installed on the hood rerlease cable (I got a package of 4 for $2.00).

Next, I unhooked the cable from the latch assembly, unbolted the latch assembly from the truck, cleaned it very well (another post said there was too much friction to pull release the lever) and greased the daylights out of it. Then I reinstalled the latch.

Finally, I added one of the springs I bought to the inside of the release cable (in between the old spring and the cable housing). I installed the cable into the clip with the factory spring on the outside of the clip (inbetween the clip and the end of the cable), and the new spring in between the clip and the cable housing.

The hood un latches like a champ, and the lever returns to its starting position like it did when it was new.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4305/688D37F78F6141D9B41E917B28DA6684.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4305/B692808C14214CE185357A21E42B239E.jpg[/IMG]