General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

horrible mpg

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 01:03 PM
lochenjons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: horrible mpg

Tune it up like everyone said. stop and go majorly reduces mpg. try driving in your last gear (bassically highway milegage) but not too much over as much as you can. There was something i read that sadi something about every 5 mph you go over 65 you mpg goes way down. But then again i do all that and still only get around 10-11 mpg.

Old 10-01-2006, 01:33 PM
BF Veteran
XBlazer01 has a spectacular aura aboutXBlazer01 has a spectacular aura about

16.8 was my montly average last month.

Dont feel bad man.

Just dont be revvin the crap out of it. ease on the gas and all. brake conservativly.

I got 20.5mpg last night and i had 1 hard run on my truck (5000rpm's)

Old 10-01-2006, 10:30 PM
Starting Member
Brian J. Lesko is an unknown quantity at this point

After you do a total tune up, you can try changing out your fluids (oil, transmission, differential) with a high quality lubricant like Royal Purple. You might pick up a little bit of mpg due to the reduction in friction. When I say a little I mean like 1/2 maybe 1 mpg if you're lucky. Other than that, you got an SUV. It's not going to be much better than 20 mpg on its best day. 4.3's are big and thirsty, and blazers are boxy. That's just the way it is I guess. You could try a Toyota Prius, but then you'd have to join a whole different forum. And what fun would that be?

Old 10-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Banned
Blasir is an unknown quantity at this point

You could try a Toyota Prius, but then you'd have to join a whole different forum. And what fun would that be?
Not to mention having to change genders.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Blasir

You could try a Toyota Prius, but then you'd have to join a whole different forum. And what fun would that be?
Not to mention having to change genders.
Not to mention the extra $5000 or so you have to pay for one. And even I dont spend $5000/year on gas

Old 10-02-2006, 12:17 AM
maritimelaw is an unknown quantity at this point

2001 Blazer 4WD, V6 Vortec 4.3

Here it is in a nutshell. Horrible mpg and rough at idle with an engine light on as well as a loss of power over time? Well...could certainly be a number of things. Those free computer hookups at the local auto parts store show a misfire on a couple of cylinders(banks)? It did for me! After a set of plugs, with a cap and rotor(wires were earlier), things showed a slight improvement(and I mean slight).

By luck, a friend at the local dealership(parts) gave me the rundown on the fuel injection, even printed the diagrams and breakdown in an expanded version with individual parts with pictures numbered. The fuel regulator was the problem! Purchased the gasket kit of course along with cleaner for the intake, throttle body, and "cow wrenches" for the fuel line disconnect near the firewall. Deep metric sockets in all sizes are the key with a short and long extension. Get the "star" sockets(set) as well for the handy rachet! They will be needed along with a torque wrench in "inch/pounds", not ft/lbs...for the upper intake bolts(Consult the dealer for torque settings). The whole job took some time on my end. I'm not a mechanic, but made the time, took the time and had PATIENCE! It payed off and will pay off! I now have a new Blazer again.

Have not cleared the code yet for the engine light and it idles a little high. Maybe...it was suppose to idle at that RPM anyway now that I think about it!

Inspect the injectors(spiders?) while the intake is off along with all other injection parts for wear. Clean everything including the throttle body inside and out. I even touched up the sensors. CAREFUL, they are electronic! Some gaskets and electrical parts don't respond to well with some cleaners along with cleaning. I also cleaned the Mass Airflow Sensor with the proper CRC just for that part! CAREFUL with that one to! The little wires inside mean big $$. Remember the star sockets? Have them close by with that can of CRC! Remember, be patient and take your time! Alot of items to move and relocate to get that upper intake off.

Many may not venture into unfamiliar territory when it comes to fuel, electronics, and parts of an engine they have never seen. I will have to say, learned quite a bit about the 4.3 today! I certainly won't hesitate to change the "spiders" on my own if they decide to join there relative, the "fuel regulator".

One last note, replace the thermostat, clean the electronic/sensor disconnects, replace the PCV valve, distributor with rotor, and definately an oil change. Other than the oil change, you may find that all of the parts mentioned you may physically touch just for a plain old "fuel regulator". Here is that opportunity to dress up things even more!

I took my time. Had grease/grime on my hands, elbows, clothes and even my forehead? But I am very proud to say that it solved alot of problems except for one. Like many, I don't have a vast variety of good tools. Find out what that Blazer needs when it is time for that unexpected repair and buy it! Have a set of star sockets? How about a spark plug socket with a swivel built in for that one behind the steering assembly? You know, the one you have to change through the left front wheel well. Don't go without! Get it.

Food for thought!

Old 10-02-2006, 12:25 AM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

When you change the air filter, go with a K&N stock replacement filter. I have a 2001 4x4 and get 23mpg hwy and 17mpg city....... Before tis i averaged 19/14. . . . . I also add STP fuel addative every fill up. . . its cheap at wal-mart a 3-pack for $2.50. . . It works for me, just thought i'd share. . .

Old 10-02-2006, 12:33 AM
maritimelaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent advice! I live in the city and travel the interstate frequently around alot of water. There's lot of added miles right there to get from point A to point B! Anything to save on fuel with added quality counts!

Thanks a_tack! Hadn't given the air filter much thought yet until now!

Old 10-02-2006, 12:41 AM

btw http://woodsware.aciwebs.com/mileage/ is a great way to calculate and keep track of your mpg over time

Old 10-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Beginning Member
geekdagr8 is an unknown quantity at this point

i get 12 mpg in mine.....if i was gettin 16mpg i would jump for joy

Quick Reply: horrible mpg