General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How do I wire my starter to the battery???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 05:30 PM
Blazinmail is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I wire my starter to the battery???

Might seem like a extreme newbie post, but I got a blazer about a month ago. I took the engine out and now have a new 4.3 in it. It is a 91'. Since I just pulled everything without really paying attention to where things go, I need to know what goes where.

Ok, so I have the negative cable which has a large ground, and a tiny ground wire branching from the large wire..

Then on the positive side I have a sensor wich clips into the lighting harness, a large cable, and then another small cable branching from it..

Where do all of these go on the starter?

Old 07-25-2005, 01:56 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: How do I wire my starter to the battery???

I just rewired my battery on a '87 S10-Blazer. Here is how mine is set-up.
The big red positive wire goes straight to the starter. The little one connects to the back of the alternator. When the engine is running the alternator charges the battery via that wire.

The Negative wires are gourn wires and go to the engine block, truck frame, and truck body.

On my truck the cab power comes from 2 places. Both have fuseable links. I lost all power to the cab and the reason I was messing around with my wiring. While there, I noticed the previous owner ran the wires between the engine block and exhaust manifolds when he dropped in a new engine. The heat from the exhaust manifold was melting my wires and thus the reason for my problems. I reran everything on that side of the engine. Anyway.

The starter has a fuseable link attached to the same post as the big red battery cable. This provides cab power when the engine is not running. The smaller wire attached to the other post on the starter solenoid provides power from the ignition switch and causes the starter to turn over.

The alternator has a fuseable link that also runs to the cab. This wire is attached to the back of the alternator on the same post as the battery recharge wire. Then there should be 2 wires in a harness attached to the alternator itself.

I hope this helps. If you still have questions I'll pull out my Chilton manual and look it up for ya.

Old 03-17-2006, 09:31 AM
broenderlev is an unknown quantity at this point

Hallo...

Are there any change fore that i can get a copy of your chilton workshop manual...

cas i have a serios problem getting dokumentation on my blazer...
the reson why is that i´m liveing in denmark...

hope you can help me

claus

E-mail : bronderslev41@hotmail.com

Old 03-17-2006, 05:33 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Swart would be the man with that info. He will need to know what you are lookng for, and what year of your truck.

Welcome to the site.

Old 03-17-2006, 08:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, if documentation is what you are looking for, try AllDataDIY.com. I have an account for every vehicle that I own and each on that I work for family as well. I can't remember what it is for the first vehicle, but it's only $15 a year after that. Very worth it IMO.