General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I want a blazer!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 12:41 PM
winterride is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I want a blazer!

Hi, this is my first post here. I have been looking around for a good winter car for winter here in minnesota and I have my heart set on a Blazer. They have 4x4 drive, get good gas mileage (relativly speaking), and I can get one for under $5k so it seems like a perfect fit. I am looking at the 1998 and newer models because I like the front ends better. Now to the question. I found a 1999 blazer for a good price, but the owner said that the driver and passanger door need to be realigned. They said that they have to be slammed shut. My first thought is that the car was in an accident, but the owner says they wern't. I am wondering if this a common problem on the blazer or if I should just find something better. Also, most of the blazers i am looking at have between 100k and 120k miles on them. Anything specific I should be looking for with a Blazer with that many miles? I know about general things, (this will be car #9 for me and i am 19yrs old), and I know my way around a car a bit, I am just wondering if there is anything blazer specific. Thanks for all your help, I can't wait to start getting more involved in the forum!!

Jon

Old 09-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: I want a blazer!

Welcome!!!

The doors are a VERY common problem. Take a look at the hinge pins. They can be some-what easily replaced if you have a small door hinge spring compressor. If the pins have worn through their bushings and into the metal, it may require more drastic measures to repair, but still nothing a body shop shouldn't be able to do for a fee...

Other areas of interest should be the front ball joints. If, when travelling over a bumpy road, you hear rattling, then the ball joints are probably going to need replacing. Again, depending on tools at your disposal and your willingness to do the work, this is something you can repair yourself as well. If they've already been replaced once, all the easier.

Good luck with your hunt and any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Old 09-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

my guess is the door hinges need atttention, more specifically, the bushings are bad. I replaced the bushings on my truck for about 12 bucks, for both doors, and you can buy a spring tool for 20 or so, or if you have a nice body shop around they might just put them in for free, like mine did.

Ball joints are common areas of failure on blazers, and a few other minor things. Read up on the General Help section of the forum, and you will get a good idea of the problems that you may run into.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

wow, guess we were typing at the same time, and basically the same thing

Old 09-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'm just 3 minutes quicker to the 'OK' button! LOL

All that it takes is for you to open the topic before someone posts and you'd miss it.

Old 09-27-2006, 03:35 PM
winterride is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks, that helps alot.