General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

internal coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 12:56 AM
john is an unknown quantity at this point
Default internal coolant leak

I have a 93 s-10 blazer w/a 4.3 vortec cpi unit it seems to be leaking internaly I replaced the upper gaskets within 10,ooo miles and had the heads shaved.head bolts are 5-7 lbs beyond specs and the intake is right on specs there is no coolant on the oil dipstick but is sighns onthe oil filler cap am going to replace intake gaskets as soon as i can but see this as an onging problem couse i realy can't find the leak there is nothing coming out of the exhaust but the usual.can anyone tell me were to go from here?[&o]i am totaly lost as what to do..[&o]

Old 03-05-2006, 01:16 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: internal coolant leak

Get a coolant pressure test done.

Check the transmission dipstick. If there is any rust on it, coolant is getting into the tranny. A new radiator is needed along with a tranny flush/fill.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:42 AM

trans dipstick is fine replaced radiator within past year as well hoses are new heater core is new and not leaking upper hose is collapsing when i check fluids in the morning the pc valve is fine theres vacuum on the oil filler cap so thats fine no extenal leaks have ckecked with a fine toothed comb it leaves the intake or the heads .is this a well known problem for the 4.3?and what else can be done?

Old 03-05-2006, 02:55 AM

Good, got the bases covered. Intake then. My old '98 was weeping the crap in the rer of the motor.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:42 AM

yes bases are some what coverd is this motor known for this and what can i do to keep this from happening again in a few miles?can the intake be plained down?and the surface were the intake fits on the heads can they be plained down as well? still at a loss..

Old 03-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How fast does the coolant leave the engine? (ie. 1 gallon over 100 miles...)

How much was machined off the heads when you had them decked? Did it look like the intake still matted up right after the machine work was done? Why did you have the heads decked? To ensure a nice flat head sealing surface? Also, why did you overtorque the head bolts?

Old 03-05-2006, 07:26 PM

right know it only uses a few teaspoons of coolant .I don't know how much was machined off.but the person did say he seen some vallys in them and they were pressure checked at 70 psi and are /were ok i had them machined down and checked becouse i had this problem last year.everything matched up when i put it together and i over torqued the heads becouse i couldn't find new bolts and figured the old ones were streached. so far the coolant is not burning out the exhaust and it has not shown on the oil dipstick only on the filler cap..it the coolant is going back inthe overflow but is not being sucked back from it and the top hose is being sucked in...[&o]and the coolant doesn't leave verry fast yet ..

Old 03-06-2006, 03:59 AM

If you install a PCV catch can, it may show some coolant traces.

Old 03-06-2006, 07:46 AM

what is a pcv catch can???this is an internal leak so were would i put it???

Old 03-06-2006, 03:20 PM

Quick Reply: internal coolant leak