General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Locking gas cap or lock for access cover

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Starting Member
2klt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Locking gas cap or lock for access cover

I thought that I might have gotten hit for gas by some lowlifes[sm=shootshoot.gif] awhile back and so made sure to become more cognizant of replacing the cap properly and screwing it in until it skips over itself.
Well, havent' been driving the LT for more than a week now due to surgery and today was the first day back in. I needed gas as it was about an 1/8th or less and don't really remember where it was the las time I drove but could swear that it was more than an 1/8th.
At any rate,........ I need to know if there is a locking gas cap available for these years Blazers and or if there is a kit or has anyone installed on their own a setup to lock the access cover. I don't want to hassle around with a release lever like the Saturn has or Honda's etc. Just a secure way to keep my fuel after it goes into the tank and out the exhaust.
Any help will be greatly appreciated...
Peace

Old 06-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Locking gas cap or lock for access cover

You should be able to pickup a stant locking gas cap (or any brand one) from any one of your local autoparts stores.

Like this one:
Stant Locking Gas Cap - Advanced Auto

Old 06-26-2006, 09:50 PM
Starting Member
2klt is an unknown quantity at this point

swartlkk

Thanks... figured they were still sold. Would really like to figure out a setup for the flip door to lockit closed to have to access it with a key also.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There's probably something you can rig up. My bonneville has a locking gas door. When the doors of the car are locked, so is the gas door. If the actuator goes bad, there is a pull strap in the trunk. The wiring would be pretty straight forward, but the mounting of the actuator would be the difficult part. You'd have to fab up some sort of mount for the actuator and then a lock striker for the door.

That reminds me... I've gotta take my actuator out and clean it up to make sure it never seizes up.

Old 06-27-2006, 02:32 PM
tom1337 is an unknown quantity at this point

I beleive that the STANT locking gas cap model is #1056.

As for a rig for your fuel door, the simplest way would be to go to any store that sells RV parts. You will be looking for the lock assembly for exterior cargo doors. It will be a lock cylinder w/nut and washers and piece of steel (locking bar) screwed on the back side. There will be different sizes so you will have to measure your fuel door and get the closest size.

Drill a hole at the edge of the fuel door to accept the cylinder body, seal around the hole so you dont rust, then cut a slot in the filler opening to accept the locking bar (the length will vary according to the locking bar swing but the width will be around 1/8" ) apply some paint or rust sealer to the slot, again to prevent rust. Install unit and you will have what you are looking for. The most important thing is your measurements.

The unit is very corosion resistant, just spray some lock lube or any other lube that does not evaporate into the lock.

The cost should be under $20.00 and take about 1hr taking you time and "measuring twice"

Old 06-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Thanks for picking up my spelling error. But your PN is incorrect. It is PN 10506 per STant's Online Catalog and the Advanced Auto link above (although they listed some other PNs as well which is why I went to Stant's website).

PN 10506 is valid for... well... too many GM vehicles to list.

And yeah, if you wanted to have the fuel door be key operated, a lock cylinder would be the way to go.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:17 AM
tom1337 is an unknown quantity at this point

To tell the truth I didn't even notice the spelling error LOL, I try to put all manufacturer names in caps I don't know why, I guess I'm strange that way LOL.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:39 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

It would be extremely hard for any one to siphon gas out of your tank.

There is an anti-siphon ball in teh filler hose. No way to siphon gas out, unless they have a special tool for it.

I think your losing your mind. [8D]

Old 07-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Dabber is an unknown quantity at this point

No offence to anyone but I always thought there was a screen of sorts down the filler tube. I was WRONG I hade 3/4 of my tank sucked out somehow a couple weeks ago. I filled up the night before heading out on vacation everything was ready to hop in and go and to my surprise there was less than a quarted tank in when I started it in the morning. Needless to say I was PISSED.

Chris

Old 09-03-2006, 11:30 PM
IdidNOTdoIT is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, I'd like to see someone try and siphon my tank and put the contents in their gasoline tank. The damage it would cause to their engine and the laughter it would produce from me would be punishment enough for them. [8D]

Quick Reply: Locking gas cap or lock for access cover