General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Lose Lifter??

Old 11-24-2006, 11:13 PM
Chevyguy032 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lose Lifter??

Ok I have a real annoying ticking and im guessing it is a lose lifter..So how hard would it be to actualy tighten it up...what isa the procedure and will I need any special tools thanks..

Old 11-25-2006, 05:44 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover is a jewel in the roughChevy Lover is a jewel in the roughChevy Lover is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Lose Lifter??

What kinda milage is on the engine? I see in your sig you have an '87 350.
I ask because I wonder if it's a worn cam lobe.
As far a adjusting the lifter goes, remove the rocker cover, bring the piston up to TDC on the loose rocker, adjust the rocker arm to zero lash, then tighten the adjuster nut another 3/4 turn.
That's the short reply.
If you want to get into diagnosis and repair, I can walk you through it step by step, in more detail.
I think the Haynes repair manual has a fairly good section for checking cam wear and valve adjustment

Old 11-25-2006, 10:23 AM

The motor is a rebuilt liberty motor..the guy said it has around 130,000-133,000 miles..the guy i bought it from told me that he was told it was a lose lifter...Now how would I get the Pistion with the lose liter to TDC..will I need any special tools or is there any special procedure??

Old 11-25-2006, 02:53 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover is a jewel in the roughChevy Lover is a jewel in the roughChevy Lover is a jewel in the rough

Valve Lash Adjustment
Remove the valve rocker arm cover..
Crank the engine until the mark on the crankshaft balancer lines up with the timing mark on the front cover and the engine is in the number one firing position. This may be determined by placing fingers on the number one valve as the mark on the balancer comes near the timing mark on the front cover. If the valve rocker arms are not moving, the engine is in the number one firing position. If the valve rocker arms move as the mark comes up to the timing mark, the engine is in the number six firing position. Rotate the crankshaft 360° or one complete revolution in order to reach the number one position.
With the engine in the number one firing position as determined above, adjust the following valves (Even numbered cylinders are in the right bank. Odd numbered cylinders are in the left bank):
- Exhaust:1, 3, 4, 8

- Intake:1, 2, 5, 7

Back out the adjusting nut until lash is felt at the pushrod then turn in the adjusting nut until all lash is removed. This can be determined by rotating the pushrod while turning the adjusting nut. When the play has been removed, turn the adjusting nut 360° or one full additional turn in order to center the valve lifter plunger.
Crank the engine one revolution until the timing mark on the front cover and the crankshaft balancer mark are again in alignment. This is the number six firing position. The following valves may be adjusted:
- Exhaust: 2, 5, 6, 7

- Intake: 3, 4, 6, 8

Install the valve rocker arm cover.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/A6FF5211782D41DF859D748EE63F37F2.gif[/IMG]

Old 11-25-2006, 02:59 PM
slammins15 is an unknown quantity at this point

x

Old 11-26-2006, 03:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Chevy Lover

Valve Lash Adjustment
Remove the valve rocker arm cover..
Crank the engine until the mark on the crankshaft balancer lines up with the timing mark on the front cover and the engine is in the number one firing position. This may be determined by placing fingers on the number one valve as the mark on the balancer comes near the timing mark on the front cover. If the valve rocker arms are not moving, the engine is in the number one firing position. If the valve rocker arms move as the mark comes up to the timing mark, the engine is in the number six firing position. Rotate the crankshaft 360° or one complete revolution in order to reach the number one position.
With the engine in the number one firing position as determined above, adjust the following valves (Even numbered cylinders are in the right bank. Odd numbered cylinders are in the left bank):
- Exhaust:1, 3, 4, 8

- Intake:1, 2, 5, 7

Back out the adjusting nut until lash is felt at the pushrod then turn in the adjusting nut until all lash is removed. This can be determined by rotating the pushrod while turning the adjusting nut. When the play has been removed, turn the adjusting nut 360° or one full additional turn in order to center the valve lifter plunger.
Crank the engine one revolution until the timing mark on the front cover and the crankshaft balancer mark are again in alignment. This is the number six firing position. The following valves may be adjusted:
- Exhaust: 2, 5, 6, 7

- Intake: 3, 4, 6, 8

Install the valve rocker arm cover.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/A6FF5211782D41DF859D748EE63F37F2.gif[/IMG]
But will it hurt the motor at all if I crank the motor with the valve covers off?? and will oil spew everywhere?? Just curious

Old 11-26-2006, 03:44 AM
BF Veteran

If you crank the motor over a couple of times it will not spew oil all over the place. If you continue to crank it, it will build up oil pessure and start to speay oil all over. It will not hurt the engine to turn it over with the valve covers off.

As slammins15 said you can adjust the rockers with the engine running and it will make a mess. I have done it that way but I do not recommend it unless you are experienced and quick.

The way I have explained it is the way I do it. It's an accurate and clean way to do it. I use a paint pen or marker to mark the valves I have adjusted, then I can see when I have done them all.

Old 11-26-2006, 01:45 PM

Should I disconnect the distributer so I dont have to worry about it starting up?..Sorry for all the questions I just want to do it 100 percent right when I do it.

Old 11-26-2006, 03:03 PM
RedBlaze is an unknown quantity at this point

dont disconnect the distributor. just disconnect the battery. much easier.

Old 11-26-2006, 03:17 PM
RedBlaze is an unknown quantity at this point

oh crap nevermind you have to manually crank the motor. still shouldnt need to disconnect anything. i dont think you will be cranking the engine over enough that it would start.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lose Lifter??

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.