General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

NEED SOME ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 01:18 AM
USMaverick101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NEED SOME ADVICE

I wanna try changing the sprk plugs again. Any recomendations on which kind? Autolite? Bosch Platinums? And the gapping is .045 right? I need to get a new muffler and tail pipe because they both are all rusted. Any idea on how much that will cost?? Also the first time I took out the plugs, the heat shields right above the manifold were all rusted so i had to pull them out...is there any way i can put some kind of heat shield for the plugs on there so my plugs dont burn out?? I think that might be causing one of my cylinders to be sticking?..I hear how it idles like its not firing one of the cylinders, but it only happens after the engine is warmed up.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:22 AM
Default RE: NEED SOME ADVICE

By the way its a 92 S10 Blazer 4wd. 4.3L CPI....about 90k on it

Old 09-27-2006, 01:37 AM
rabbit0102030 is an unknown quantity at this point

I run Denso Premium Iridum Spark Plugs in my blazer, they're about 12 bucks apiece but worth every penny if you ask me. Offhand on the exhaust I know Dynomax makes an exhaust system for blazers It's a super turbo muffler, 2 1/2" system, tail pipe, and clamps for about $200. The spark plug heat shield thing, Cool It by Thermo Tec. It's a 2 piece set for about 15 bucks.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:57 AM

where can i pick up those heat shields by thermotec? Are they for each plug or for each side of the engine?

Old 09-27-2006, 07:41 PM

For the heat shields try this link:

http://www.performanceproducts4truck...spx?pid=110185

I'm sure other sites and stores carry them maybe even for less or in different brands, but I got mine from these guys.

Almost forgot, the 2 piece set takes care of 2 plugs. If you have a V6 then you need 3 sets.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:19 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

The ONLY plug any blazer or any G.M. car for that matter should have in it is AC DELCO. Your engine was designed to run with them and that's what you should buy for it period. By the way, they're ALOT cheaper than $12.00 each!!! As far as exhaust goes, ANY muffler shop will install a lifetime warranted muffler with a new tailpipe for under $100.00. If you want sound and performance, get you a Flowmaster 40 series street muffler installed with tailpipe for about $150-$200.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:14 PM

Good catch lascoupe! My bad, after talking to my brother about why he put Denso's in my blazer instead of AC Delco I have found out two things: 1. The Denso Iridium are in my Honda Civic not my blazer and 2. Many Denso (and NGK) plugs are AC Delco relabels. I have no idea why and what the reasoning behind it is besides the triple increase in cost hence the $12 plugs in my Civic.

So, I actually have AC Delco Iridium Plugs in my blazer that went for a little over $5 a pair. My bad on confusing the brands. Anyways, I have my brother do all the wrench work on my ride 'cause he has a shop and is quite mechanically inclined!

As far as the exhaust, Dynomax is just one I remembered off hand, but yeah you could hit just about any exhaust shop and get something cheaper or louder or whatever you happen to be looking for. The thing that stuck out in my mind about the Dynomax was the muffler and tailpipe(complete with exhaust tip) were all stainless steel, it looked really nice. As far as sound goes I prefer Borla mufflers, but hey, everyone has their preference!

Old 09-27-2006, 10:26 PM

Thanks guys for the advice...any idea though on the ticking noises? Someone told me a cylinder may not be firing. Is that possible and what can i do for that?

Old 09-27-2006, 10:40 PM

Check the oil pressure gauge and see if it reads normal. Does the ticking have anything to do with engine speed(like when your revving it or driving down the road can you still hear it)? Is it a fast ticking or slow at idle speed? If its slow it could be a lifter or rocker problem. Check everything though like your AC compressor and fan the usual sound culprits.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:47 PM

its more of a slow ticking i hear when its idling. Sounds like something from the engine. I bought the car from a guy who had it sitting for 1 year and a half. I did an oil change and there was so much gunk in the engine that the oil turned black again immediatly after i changed it. Im gonna flush the engine and change the oil and filter again. but otherwise im not sure of the ticking noise. Also its wierd cuz when I shift from park to a moving gear like drive or reverse, as soon as i shift it into gear, the rpm drops dramtically like its about to stall, and then it immediatly picks right back up

Quick Reply: NEED SOME ADVICE