General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need suggestions for body decal removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 01:35 PM
flyshychick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Need suggestions for body decal removal

Yea i was gonna suggest the fishin line idea...Thats what my friends use all the time.....Fishin line and a blow dryer.....Comes right off.....Then they use a spray adhesive remover.....

Did you try anything yet? Or get the stuff off?

Old 10-14-2006, 08:12 AM
Beginning Member
billthegoat is an unknown quantity at this point

The job is done. I stopped at the local NAPA to buy a body shop eraser tool. They knew what I was talking about but they didn't have one. So, I went with the hair dryer and razor blade widget and the Goo Gone because I'm not the most patient person in the world. Some parts of the decal that hadn't delaminated I could lift off with just the hair dryer treatment. The other delaminated parts of the decal were too thin and not sturdy enough to pull on without immediately breaking. The Goo Gone worked very well removing the adhesive residue and didn't hurt the clear coat/paint in the slightest. It ended up working pretty darn well, actually. I did end up nicking the paint a couple times with the razor, but big whoop, another couple scratches to add to my prodigous door ding/dent collection. I wouldn't recommend the razor if you have a brand new or near pristine paint job (which I did not). I took the opportunity to go over the whole body and fill in all the paint chips I have collected over 11 years with some touch up paint and it looks pretty darn good. No noticable line at the decal borders either, but it's clean and I have I feeling if I were to drive down a dusty country road it might present one, especially since my body color is "Lamp Black". Thanks for all the suggestions. I should have tried the fishline just to see how it worked out, but I was dealing with a 7" wide decal that ran down the whole rockpanel on both sides, so it might have been a little unweildy. Thanks again!

Old 10-14-2006, 09:00 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: billthegoat

The job is done. I stopped at the local NAPA to buy a body shop eraser tool. They knew what I was talking about but they didn't have one. So, I went with the hair dryer and razor blade widget and the Goo Gone because I'm not the most patient person in the world. Some parts of the decal that hadn't delaminated I could lift off with just the hair dryer treatment. The other delaminated parts of the decal were too thin and not sturdy enough to pull on without immediately breaking. The Goo Gone worked very well removing the adhesive residue and didn't hurt the clear coat/paint in the slightest. It ended up working pretty darn well, actually. I did end up nicking the paint a couple times with the razor, but big whoop, another couple scratches to add to my prodigous door ding/dent collection. I wouldn't recommend the razor if you have a brand new or near pristine paint job (which I did not). I took the opportunity to go over the whole body and fill in all the paint chips I have collected over 11 years with some touch up paint and it looks pretty darn good. No noticable line at the decal borders either, but it's clean and I have I feeling if I were to drive down a dusty country road it might present one, especially since my body color is "Lamp Black". Thanks for all the suggestions. I should have tried the fishline just to see how it worked out, but I was dealing with a 7" wide decal that ran down the whole rockpanel on both sides, so it might have been a little unweildy. Thanks again!
Glad it worked out for you, McGyver tools do seem to work the best though.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:10 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

WD-40 works pretty good on the adhesive too. If you use it when peeling the decal off after warming with a hair dryer, decal can't stick back down when the decal breaks of if you lose your grip on it.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:32 PM
Beginning Member
Johnnyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

3-M sells a decal remover pad. It attaches to a drill & rubs the decal off without damaging the paint. Works great. It's called Scotch-Brite Molding Adhesive & Stripe Removal Disk. It comes in 4" & 6" disks. It's made for what your trying to do. Try any Auto Paint store or online body stores. PS you need a drill with a 4000 RPM (4") or 2800 RPM (6") spindle speed.