General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New Guy here, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 01:01 PM
2kSnakeEater is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Guy here, need some advice

Hey Iv been a long time fan of the blazer, but I havent had one until Just last week! I was Given an 87 s-10 blazer 4x4 2.8L 2dr Auto w/140k miles. It has the normal s10 stuff wron with it:

1. both driver and pass window needs the plastic window guide/holder I need to know whats the part number and where I can order some new ones.

2. Speedo doesnt work, I have no clue on this one since I looked and everything is connected (mechanical speedo)

3. Oil Pressure and Temp are out, this weekend I found 2 crispy plugs hanging near the master cylinder and 2 spots near the oil filter that I think is where they go, we will see if that fixes the temp/oil pressure, if anybody knows for a fact that those are the temp oil post here please

4. Truck sweats oil, there are new valve cover gastkets in the back than came with the truck. So im guessing thats where its leaking from

5. 4x4 will engage in the cab but the vacuum tubes are all rotted and will need replacing before it will lock the front differantial.

Any help you guys can give me will be greatly apreaciated!

Old 03-20-2006, 05:20 PM
Default RE: New Guy here, need some advice

anybody know how to help?

Old 03-20-2006, 06:31 PM
chevychic4life is an unknown quantity at this point

well u can goto any local automotive store and ask for plastic window guides they'd usually be in an aisle but just ask in case ... also a bit curiousas to how much u got this truck for ?

Old 03-20-2006, 06:37 PM

Free, I installed a radio into this girls car and she gave me the truck for it.

Old 03-20-2006, 08:25 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

1. both driver and pass window needs the plastic window guide/holder I need to know whats the part number and where I can order some new ones.
GMpartsdirect.com

. Truck sweats oil, there are new valve cover gastkets in the back than came with the truck. So im guessing thats where its leaking from
Proabably have to be replaced again. Torque them right,

Old 03-20-2006, 11:08 PM

Thanks I know of gm parts direct but whats the part number for those window guides? and there are 2 per window right?

Old 03-20-2006, 11:10 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

and there are 2 per window right?
Inner and outer for each window I would guess.

Old 03-21-2006, 03:53 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: 2kSnakeEater

Hey Iv been a long time fan of the blazer, but I havent had one until Just last week! I was Given an 87 s-10 blazer 4x4 2.8L 2dr Auto w/140k miles. It has the normal s10 stuff wron with it:

2. Speedo doesnt work, I have no clue on this one since I looked and everything is connected (mechanical speedo)

3. Oil Pressure and Temp are out, this weekend I found 2 crispy plugs hanging near the master cylinder and 2 spots near the oil filter that I think is where they go, we will see if that fixes the temp/oil pressure, if anybody knows for a fact that those are the temp oil post here please

4. Truck sweats oil, there are new valve cover gastkets in the back than came with the truck. So im guessing thats where its leaking from

5. 4x4 will engage in the cab but the vacuum tubes are all rotted and will need replacing before it will lock the front differantial.

Any help you guys can give me will be greatly apreaciated!
Alright lets do this by the numbers. Sorry if this is long and too detailed, but you asked.
1. Order Free Catalog, click here

2. The cable runs up from teh t-case to behind the speedometer on the dash. On the back of the dash speedo gauge is the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). Disconnect the cable and lubricate it, when it gets cold out they old lube gets sticky and the speedo cable doesn't llike to work right. My speedo will bounce 5-10mph, and the colder it gets the more it bounces around. I also have a '87 S10-Blazer, 2.8L V6, 2 door 4x4.

3. Yes, that could be your problem. The oil pressure sending unit, and oil pressure switch are located next to the oil filter. Good luck getting your hand in there without removing the front driveshaft, and cross over pipe. lol

4. Could be your oil pressure sending unit, or oil pressure switch are leaking oil, might have happended when the wires were yanked off. The best way to find an oil leak is too pressure wash all the dirt, grease, and oil off the engine at the car wash. Leave the engine running, and avoid direct pressure to the radiaotr cap, and intake. The rest is free game. No you won't crack your block!!!! After the engine dries, sprinkle baby poweder where you expect the leak to be. The baby powder will absorb the oil, you'll see it.

5. Those vacuum tubes control more then just the front axle. The vacuum system is one unit. It is feed off teh passengers sdie of the engine (behind the trottle linkage) and goes to your brake booster, your MAP sensor, your heat-a/c controls in the truck, your t-case, and other vacuum controlled stuff. Replace all the old vacuum lines. There are three hoses that run down to the t-case. One is supplying vacuum tot he switch, then one runs back up to the vacuum contorller next to teh battery (which engages the front axle), and the last one is a vent line. It splits off over the t-cae and runs to another port on the t-case (connects tot he t-case in 2 places). then it runs up into the engine compartment and ends right next to the hose that goes to the vacuum actuator. Now if you plan on 4wheeling this truck there are 3 more vent lines to be concerned with. The front diff, rear diff, and tranny. Front diff should end in engien compartment next to the vacuum ball. Rear diff will end by body, extend it to end in engine compartment. Tranny is the most critical, there is a 4" long vent hose on top of the tranny right behind the bellhousing, feel for it by ahnd, extend this intot he engine compartment as well.

Got any more questions?????
Need any pics??? I just mgith have them already. You could say I know this truck pretty well. Not much on it I haven't worked on to date.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:05 PM

OMG your a blazer God!, Yes send me pics of the speedo and vacum line stuff to camaroz28_001@yahoo.com. Also *update* new stuff i have found out:

I got the Pass window to go up (I fiddled with it) and I went out and got a 2nd pas. side switch. Using both switches the window will go up but not down. Drivers side doesnt control a damm thing and the drivers side switch doesnt fell broken and feels like it should when pressed up or down. I was told that these blazers have a problem with the wires getting worn out by the years of opening and closing the doors is that true? I have also ordered the window guides and are $3 a piece, I will be getting these sat from my dealer. I would like to know how to bypass the switch and operate the window manualy by crossing wires, what wires should touch each other? what combo for up and what combo for down?

2. Power door locks dont work, that switch does fell like its busted and old. It wiggles around instead going *just* left or right.

Again thank you all soo much for any help you can give me!

Old 03-21-2006, 11:39 PM

oh and before I forget, Both door sag. Pas doesnt bother me that much, the drivers is just bad! I noticed there are bushings in the door that look replaceable (if thats even a word) I will find out at my dealer sat if I can buy them, does anybody know what part number they are? Blazer suck at this point of the door as they are welded and not bolted in like my camaros and firebirds have been.

Quick Reply: New Guy here, need some advice