Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   New Guy here, need some advice (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/new-guy-here-need-some-advice-2897/)

swartlkk 03-21-2006 11:47 PM

RE: New Guy here, need some advice

You can grab a pin/bushing kit at any autoparts store. One thing that you'll want to grab is a light truck door hinge spring tool (LT Door Hinge Spring Tool $16.99 - Eastwood.com). It'll make the job SOOOO much easier. If you know of someplace that you can rent/borrow this, then that would probably be a better choice, but for $17, I'm just going to buy it when I need to replace my hinge pins/bushings again (passenger door is getting worse)...

2kSnakeEater 03-22-2006 12:07 PM

do I need that pin puller tool too?

swartlkk 03-22-2006 12:23 PM

I did not use a pin puller, but if you have the extra $$$, it would only make things easier. All that I know is that it was a major pain in the a$$ to get that spring back in (not having the proper tool).

2kSnakeEater 03-22-2006 12:33 PM

My local Discount auto lets me "rent" tools so Il defenetly do that this weekend

swartlkk 03-22-2006 01:29 PM

I could NOT find this tool ANYWHERE in my area. I don't know enough body shop guys well enough to borrow the tool from them, but parts stores did not have it. I will be buying it before too long. Maybe we'll start a revolving tool for BF.com! LOL Only pay shipping to the next person! LOL...

If you are able to find this in some kind of rent-a-tool program from any of the larger autoparts stores, please let us know. It would be good information to have.

Hanr3 03-22-2006 03:05 PM

ORIGINAL: 2kSnakeEater

OMG your a blazer God!,

I was told that these blazers have a problem with the wires getting worn out by the years of opening and closing the doors is that true?
what wires should touch each other?

2. Power door locks dont work, that switch does fell like its busted and old. It wiggles around instead going *just* left or right.

Again thank you all soo much for any help you can give me!
Just a regular guy who has spent some time working on my junk over the years. There are others more knowledgeable then me on here. But thanks anyway.

1. Yes. Cut open the rubber sleeve in between the door and pillar. Make sure all the wires in there are in good shape, you may have to splice in a short piece of wire to reconnect the broken wire.

2. Replace the switches, and fix the wiring. The switches pop out and there is a wire connector on the back of it. The connector should be held in place with some cupped looking things, no idea what they are callled. Pull them off and the connector comes off. Make sure the contact area is clean, scrape the crap off with a sharp object. If you still have problems with the locks, more then likely your activator(s) are worn out, replace them as well. Mine barely work, but I don't care. Eventually the doors will be coming off forever.

swartlkk 03-22-2006 03:30 PM

It may just be me, but it may be a little easier to run a continuity test on each wire that goes through the door than just cutting open the door wire loom. This way you can narrow down which wire (if any of them) are broken, requiring the loom to be cut. If you can, try to leave the rubber boot intact and just slide a new wire through to replace the broken wire.

Hanr3 03-22-2006 03:37 PM

Sure, that would be a better way. :D

I didn't think of it when I did mine. Good call.

2kSnakeEater 03-22-2006 03:46 PM

I will try everything listed here, will report back on the weekend

swartlkk 03-22-2006 03:50 PM

While you are doing the continuity test, make sure to test all possible combinations to test for crossed wires inside.

EX. With wire 1 inside the door, test all of the wires that go through into the vehicle on the opposite end. You need to make sure that you get continuity on the wire (end to end), but you also need to make sure that no other wires are grounded out to that wire as well.