General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

new user: questions for cost of repair

Old 05-30-2006, 09:42 PM
sizzlebox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new user: questions for cost of repair

I am looking at getting another blazer (I had one and it started on fire--insurance covered...), this particular one I am looking at would need all new balljoints and the 4x4 is vacuum locked (in their words).

it is a 1993 s10 blazer.

what kind of cost for in shop repair should i expect for these kind of repairs?

Old 05-30-2006, 10:05 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: new user: questions for cost of repair

What is exactly is vacuum locked? The transfer case? The engine?

You can do he ball joints yourself. Save the money.

Some shops charge $65+ hr/labor at least 2.75 hrs to do them.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:22 PM
Beginning Member
greengoose89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just paid $1500 for the ball joints and new tires since the ball joints shredded the old ones on my 99 Bravada.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

YIKES[sm=jawdrop.gif]

What did they put on for tires? Even at $200/tire (rediculously high for normal tires), that leaves another $700+ for ball joints. My 255/50R17 summer performance tires for my Bonneville only cost me $125/tire mounted, balanced, and installed...

I got both the upper and lower ball joints on one side replaced for $150 at the local Monroe muffler after I replaced one side for $50 (parts only). Now granted, I got a great price for the second side which is why I had them do it after getting frustrated on the first side. But wow, $1500...

Old 05-31-2006, 03:49 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

Ya, I was gonna scream about how crazy that was as well.

Getting your ball joints done should be fairly inexpensive, even if you get them done at the shop.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:13 PM

Was that in AUS funds?

Old 05-31-2006, 04:30 PM
Beginning Member

Tires were uniroyal Laredos. Yeah, I won't be returning to that garage again. I had one break completely (wheel almost completely fell off!!) last year on my Jimmy and that was cheaper to fix!

Old 05-31-2006, 04:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Did they give you any kind of estimate? That is outrageous!

And I definitely will NOT be putting Uniroyal Laredo's back on my Bravada when it's time to replace them. I need a higher load rated tire for what I do with the truck and I DO NOT like a tire that squats when lightly loaded like the laredos do at max pressure.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:42 PM

And I definitely will NOT be putting Uniroyal Laredo's back on my Bravada when it's time to replace them. I need a higher load rated tire for what I do with the truck and I DO NOT like a tire that squats when lightly loaded like the laredos do at max pressure.
Yep, "house" tires hold air. They do nothing for comfort and loading.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Beginning Member

I use my Jimmy for "work" related items. Hauling, towing, etc. The Bravada is more of the "luxury" vehicle for long trips or carting the kids around so i don't mind comfort tires on that one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new user: questions for cost of repair