General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Not really a tech q...On*?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 12:51 AM
black19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not really a tech q...On*?

Just realized my car has the On* system. Dont know much about it except what I've vaguely seen on commercials. What does it do? I'm afraid to push the button and see what happens. Can anyone help me out?

Old 02-11-2006, 01:27 AM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Not really a tech q...On*?

[sm=icon_rtfm.gif][sm=icon_rtfm.gif]

Old 02-11-2006, 02:00 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Hit it. you'll be directed to an op and probably will be asked to sign up.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: ivannj

That was uncalled for...

Anyway, OnStar is GMs integrated cell/assistance service. Vehicles equiped and subscribed to OnStar have many options from remote unlocking of the doors, remote CEL diagnosis, GPS tracking/directions, and cell phone integration. The options listed are dependant on the level of service you pay for, and there are probably others that I have forgot to mention. If you would like to subscribe, just push the little blue button.

Old 02-11-2006, 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

That was uncalled for...

Anyway, OnStar is GMs integrated cell/assistance service. Vehicles equiped and subscribed to OnStar have many options from remote unlocking of the doors, remote CEL diagnosis, GPS tracking/directions, and cell phone integration. The options listed are dependant on the level of service you pay for, and there are probably others that I have forgot to mention. If you would like to subscribe, just push the little blue button.
Thanks for the help

Old 02-11-2006, 05:42 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point

Please take no offense they are just Smily Faces. As Far a reading your manual goes I thought that it might lead you in the right direction. OK sorry If I offended anyone[sm=dontgetit.gif][sm=forgetit.gif][sm=chairshot.gif][sm=shootshoot.gif][sm=shutup.gif][sm=violent053.gif][sm=wtf.gif]

Old 02-11-2006, 06:04 PM

Please take no offense they are just Smily Faces. As Far a reading your manual goes I thought that it might lead you in the right direction. OK sorry If I offended anyone[sm=dontgetit.gif][sm=forgetit.gif][sm=chairshot.gif][sm=shootshoot.gif][sm=shutup.gif][sm=violent053.gif][sm=wtf.gif]

Just kidding. I took no offense. The manual is in the car and I never seem to remember to grab it when im on my way in the house. [:@]

Old 02-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Like a kid in a candy store. Hopefully this facination with the multitude of smilies available wears off at some point.

Back to your post and why I stated that it was not called for. To the casual internet user, what does RTFM mean? Nothing. So by posting a smilie with even the best of intentions, it means absolutely nothing without some explaination. You made no attempt to explain any further to help the poster out.

In the future, smilie only posts will be deleted unless in the Off Topic section.

Old 02-11-2006, 06:55 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

My insurance Co. doesn't see Onstar as a good theft deterent. Probably cause its so easy to deactivate. But an Onstar rep could assist authorities of the location of the vehicle in the event of a theft. I tried to convince my agent (darn middleman) but he won't have anything to do with it.

Old 02-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Yup, it is VERY easy to disable an onstar system and pretty much any good theif knows how to do so. It should always be checked in the event though.

Quick Reply: Not really a tech q...On*?