General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

oxygen sensors

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 02:40 AM
Starting Member
KA3AX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default oxygen sensors

My "service engine soon" light just came on, I thought I saw some one say here to clean the oxygen sensors? I just can't find that post. Can someone tell me what should I look for first? What solution should I use to clean the oxygen sensors?

Thanks

Old 05-09-2006, 08:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: oxygen sensors

You first really need to find out what the SES light is for. Pretty much all of the autoparts stores now will do a free code scan for you. Have them read the codes and clear them if possible. Report back here with the codes and we'll go from there.

More to your direct question. I have never cleaned an O2 sensor. I may attempt it on my emission (B1S2 or B1S3) only sensors at some point, but I would only try it on a fuel management sensor (B1S1 & B2S1) as a short term solution. The way to clean them (or so I have read) is to remove the affected sensor and clean it by spraying it with sensor safe carbon cleaner on and into the bulb. You may also want to soak it in the cleaner for a bit and blow out the bulb. Allow it to dry completely (over night would be good) before putting it back into the vehicle. Remember to reapply some antiseize to the threads ONLY on the sensor before putting it back in. See if the sensor comes back to life.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Starting Member
KA3AX is an unknown quantity at this point

Oxygen sensors are the ones on the exhaust, right? Should have 3 or 4 of those?

Thanks again

Old 05-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You will have 3 sensors. Have you gotten your codes scanned yet? I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that your O2 sensors are bad until you know the reason why the light was triggered.